Objectives and Skills
Objectives and skills for this lesson include:
- Send and receive JSON data using AJAX
- Use an online API simulation tool such as jsonplaceholder.typicode.com to test your code. Depending on configuration of your API simulation tool, the returned data may or may not match the data you send. The intent is to test XMLHttpRequest communication rather than the API itself.
Additional items will be contributed by course participants
- With AJAX, web applications can send and retrieve data from a server asynchronously (in the background) without interfering with the display and behavior of the existing page.
- Data Interchange Format
- A data-interchange format is a text format which is used to interchange or exchange data between different platforms and operating systems. JSON is the most popular and lightweight data-interchange format for web applications.
- GET is used to request data from a specified resource. GET is one of the most common HTTP methods (and the default method).
- POST is used to send data to a server to create/update a resource. The data sent to the server with POST is stored in the request body of the HTTP request.