- Banking Reform: Economic Propellants, Political Impediments, with Kenneth E. Scott, (Hoover Institution, Stanford University, 1992).
- China's Transition to Markets Market-Preserving Federalism, Chinese Style, with Yingyi Qian, (Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace, Stanford University, 1995).
- Positive Theories of Congressional Institutions, co-edited with Kenneth A. Shepsle, (University of Michigan Press, 1995).
- The New Federalism: Can the States Be Trusted?, co-edited with John A. Ferejohn, (Stanford University Press, 1997).
- Preferences and Situations: Points of Intersection between Historical and Rational Choice Constitutionalism, co-edited with Ira Katznelson, (Russell Sage Foundation, 2005).
- The Oxford Handbook of Political Economy, co-edited with Donald A. Wittman, (Oxford University Press, 2006).
- Political Institutions and Financial Development, co-edited with Stephen Haber and Douglass C. North, (Stanford University Press, 2008).