Monica Anna Maria Bellucci (Italian: [ˈmɔːnika belˈluttʃi]; born 30 September 1964) is an Italian-French actress and model. She began her career as a fashion model, modelling for Dolce & Gabbana and Dior, before making a transition to Italian films and later American films and French films.
Monica Anna Maria Bellucci
30 September 1964
Città di Castello, Umbria, Italy
Bellucci played a Bride of Dracula in Francis Ford Coppola's gothic romance film Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) and Malèna Scordia in the Italian-language romantic drama Malèna (2000). She was in the controversial Gaspar Noé arthouse horror film Irréversible (2002), and portrayed Mary Magdalene in Mel Gibson's biblical drama The Passion of the Christ (2004).
In the 2003 science-fiction films The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, she played Persephone. In the 2015 James Bond film Spectre, she became the oldest Bond girl in the history of the franchise.
Monica Bellucci began modelling at age 13 by posing for a local photo enthusiast. In 1988, Bellucci left the Faculty of Law at the University of Perugia, and moved to one of Europe's fashion centers, Milan, where she signed with Elite Model Management with the aid of model agent Piero Piazzi. By 1989, she was becoming prominent as a fashion model in Paris and across the Atlantic, in New York City. She posed for Dolce & Gabbana and French Elle, among others. In that year, Bellucci made the transition to acting and began taking acting classes. The February 2001 Esquire's feature on Desire featured Bellucci on the cover and in an article on the five senses.
In 2003, she was featured in Maxim. Men's Health also named her one of the "100 Hottest Women of All-Time", ranking her at No. 21. AskMen named her the number one most desirable woman in 2002. According to two national newspapers, she is considered an Italian sex symbol.
In 2004, while pregnant with her daughter Deva, Bellucci posed nude for the Italian Vanity Fair in protest against an Italian law that restricts the provision of fertility treatment to heterosexual couples and excludes single women or same-sex couples, restricts surrogacy and research using human embryos, forbids sperm and egg donation, and limits the number of embryos created with in-vitro techniques to three. She posed pregnant and semi-nude again for the magazine's April 2010 issue. From 2006 to 2010 Bellucci was the face of a range of Dior products.
In 2012, she became the new face of Dolce & Gabbana. She is managed by Elite+ in New York City. Bellucci is signed to D'management Group in Milan and also to Storm Management in London. Bellucci also posed for GQ Italia in February 2016.
Bellucci walked the runway for the Spring 2019 Milan Fashion Week for Dolce and Gabbana. Joining her included Isabella Rossellini, Eva Herzigová, and Helena Christensen, continuing the influx of 90s supermodels returning to the spotlight of fashion.
Bellucci's film career began in the early 1990s. She played some minor roles in La Riffa (1991) and Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992). In 1996, she was nominated for a César Award for best supporting actress for her portrayal of Lisa in The Apartment and strengthened her position as an actress. She became known and popular with worldwide audiences, following her roles in Malèna (2000), Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001), and Irréversible (2002).
She has since played in many films from Europe and Hollywood like Tears of the Sun (2003), The Matrix Reloaded (2003), The Passion of the Christ (2004), The Brothers Grimm (2005), Le Deuxième souffle (2007), Shoot 'Em Up (2007), Don't Look Back (2009), and The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010).
She was supposed to be seen portraying Indian politician Sonia Gandhi in the biopic Sonia, originally planned for release in 2007, but it has been shelved. Bellucci dubbed her own voice for the French and Italian releases of the film Shoot 'Em Up (2007). She also voiced Kaileena in the video game Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, and the French voice of Cappy for the French version of the 2005 animated film Robots.
She met French actor Vincent Cassel on the set of their 1996 film The Apartment. They married in 1999 and have two daughters, Deva (born 2004) and Léonie (born 2010). The couple announced their divorce on 26 August 2013.
In the documentary movie The Big Question, about the film The Passion of the Christ, Bellucci stated: "I am an agnostic, even though I respect and am interested in all religions. If there's something I believe in, it's a mysterious energy; the one that fills the oceans during tides, the one that unites nature and beings."
Bellucci is fluent in Italian, French and English and has also acted in Persian.
|1990||Vita coi figli||Elda|
|1992||Bram Stoker's Dracula||One of Dracula's brides|
|1994||Briganti – Amore e libertà||Costanza|
|1995||Bits and Pieces|
|1996||Sorellina e il principe del sogno||Princess|
|1997||Dobermann||Nat the Gypsy|
|1997||Come mi vuoi||Nellina|
|1998||Kaputt Mundi||Giulia Giovannini|
|1998||A los que aman||Valeria|
|1999||Comme un poisson hors de l'eau||Myrtille|
|2000||Under Suspicion||Chantal Hearst|
|2001||Brotherhood of the Wolf||Sylvia|
|2002||Astérix & Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre||Cleopatra|
|2003||Remember Me, My Love||Alessia|
|2003||Tears of the Sun||Dr. Lena Fiore Kendricks|
|2003||The Matrix Reloaded||Persephone|
|2003||The Matrix Revolutions||Persephone|
|2004||The Passion of the Christ||Mary Magdalene|
|2004||She Hate Me||Simona Bonasera|
|2005||The Brothers Grimm||The Mirror Queen|
|2005||How Much Do You Love Me?||Daniela|
|2006||Sheitan||La belle vampiresse|
|2006||Napoleon and Me||Baroness Emilia Speziali|
|2006||The Stone Council||Laura Siprien|
|2007||Manual of Love 2||Lucia|
|2007||Shoot 'Em Up||Donna Quintano|
|2007||Le deuxième souffle||Manouche|
|2008||L'uomo che ama||Alba|
|2009||Don't Look Back||Jeanne|
|2009||The Private Lives of Pippa Lee||Gigi Lee|
|2009||Baarìa – La porta del vento||Bricklayer's girlfriend|
|2009||Omaggio a Roma||Tosca|
|2010||The Whistleblower||Laura Leviani|
|2010||The Sorcerer's Apprentice||Veronica|
|2010||Rose, c'est Paris||L'esprit de gala|
|2011||Manuale d'amore 3||Viola|
|2011||A Burning Hot Summer||Angèle|
|2013||Des gens qui s'embrassent (People who kiss)||Giovanna|
|2014||The Wonders||Milly Catena|
|2016||On the Milky Road||Nevesta|
|2019||The Best Years of a Life||Elena|
|2019||Spider in the Web||Angela|
|2020||The Man Who Sold His Skin||Soraya Waldy|
|TBA||Radical Eye: The Life and Times of Tina Modotti||Tina Modotti|
|2021||Fantasies (Les Fantasmes)|
|TBA||The Befana Comes At Night 2: The Origins||Dolores|
|2016||Mozart in the Jungle||Alessandra||Guest role; 5 episodes|
|2017||Twin Peaks: The Return||Herself||Episode: "Part 14"|
|2018||Call My Agent!||Herself||2 episodes|
|2003||Enter the Matrix||Persephone|
|2004||Prince of Persia: Warrior Within||Kaileena|
|2003||Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas||Marina||French dub|
Awards and nominations
|1997||César Awards||Most Promising Actress||The Apartment||Nominated|
|2001||European Film Awards||Audience Award for Best Actress||Malèna||Nominated|
|2003||Saturn Award||Best Supporting Actress||Brotherhood of the Wolf||Nominated|
|2003||Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists||Silver Ribbon for Best Supporting Actress||Ricordati di me||Won|
|2003||Cinescape Genre Face of the Future Award||Best Female||The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions||Nominated|
|2003||David di Donatello Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Ricordati di me||Nominated|
|2003||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Female Breakout Star||The Matrix Reloaded and Tears of the Sun||Nominated|
|2004||MTV Movie Awards||Best Kiss||The Matrix Reloaded||Nominated|
|2005||Globo d'oro||European Golden Globe||Won|
|2005||Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists||Silver Ribbon for Best Supporting Actress||The Passion of the Christ||Nominated|
|2007||Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists||Silver Ribbon for Best Supporting Actress||N||Nominated|
|2017||San Sebastian Film Festival||Honorary Donostia Award||Won|
|2017||Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists||European Nastro D'Argento||On the Milky Road||Won|
|2020||Magritte Award||Honorary Magritte Award||Won|
|2021||David di Donatello Awards||David Speciale||Won|
- Retter, Emily (20 October 2015). "Oldest ever Bond girl Monica Bellucci reveals how a woman of 51 can have killer sex appeal". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- Martínez, Claudio (30 October 2003). "Persephone". El Diario de Hoy (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 11 January 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2009.
- "Monica Bellucci in vacanza a casa dei genitori". corrieredellumbria.corr.it.
- Rogers, Chris (4 December 2016). "Monica Bellucci: 5 Things To Know About The New ‘Bond’ Girl". Hollywood Life.
- "42 facts about model and actress Monica Bellucci". BoomsBeat. 14 March 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
- Yucel, Author (4 August 2011). ""Monica Bellucci" by Monica Bellucci with Introduction by Giuseppe Tornatore – Book Review".
- "Style & Substance: Monica Bellucci". New York Post. 24 December 2000.
- Pollo, Paola (21 August 2015). "L'uomo che inventa le top: "Oggi vogliono solo modelle usa e getta"". Corriere della Serra (in Italian). Retrieved 3 July 2021.
- "Monica Bellucci Photos". Maxim. Archived from the original on 15 January 2007. Retrieved 15 January 2007.
- "The 100 Hottest Women of All-Time". Men's Health. 2011. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Monica Bellucci". AskMen.com. Archived from the original on 2 December 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Salisbury, Mark (23 October 2005). "Danger woman". The Observer. UK. Retrieved 26 May 2007.
- Morgoglione, Claudia (14 October 2006). "Monica baronessa divertente per Virzì "Bello quel ruolo un po' da mignotta"". La Repubblica (in Italian). Italy. Retrieved 26 May 2007.
- Owen, Richard (4 June 2005). "Actresses fight Pope over fertility". The Times. UK. Archived from the original on 10 October 2011. Retrieved 30 May 2007. Alt URL
- Rein-Olowokere, Shanelle (11 May 2010). "Moms-to-Be Who've Dared to Bare!". People. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Monica Bellucci – Actor Profile – Photos & latest news". Models.com. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Lawrenson, Amy (17 February 2012). "Monica Bellucci Dolce & Gabbana's new face". Elle. Archived from the original on 22 January 2013.
- "Monica Bellucci". Storm Model Management. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "5 cose che ancora non sapete di Monica Bellucci". GQ Italia.
- "Milan Fashion Week: Dolce & Gabbana's DNA Is in the Beauty of All Women". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- Campion, Chris (5 October 2006). "Fantasy made flesh". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 April 2009.
- Peter Sciretta (19 June 2009). "First Look: Monica Bellucci in The Sorcerer's Apprentice". slashfilm.com. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Bellucci, Monica". About.com. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Monica Bellucci – Indian Government Demands Halt To Gandhi Biopic". 20 July 2006. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Monica Bellucci's balancing act". CraveOnline. 5 September 2007. Archived from the original on 31 March 2010. Retrieved 21 October 2007.
- Grobar, Matt (7 September 2018). "'Nekrotronic's Monica Bellucci On Playing Soul-Sucking Queen Of The Internet-Age Underworld – Toronto Studio".
- "What's Up Down Under? Bellucci Fronts NEKROTRONIC at TIFF — Alexandra Heller-Nicholas – ALLIANCE OF WOMEN FILM JOURNALISTS".
- Williams, Sally (15 July 2017). "Monica Bellucci on life after divorce and finding herself in her 50s". The Telegraph. Retrieved 18 July 2020.
- "Monica Bellucci, Vincent Cassel To Divorce After 14 Years". HuffPost. 26 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (14 September 2004). ""Passion" actress bellucci has baby girl". People. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Actress Monica Bellucci has baby girl". Agence France-Presse. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Monica Bellucci Quotes". BrainyQuote. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "Monica Bellucci Quotes". MotivationQuotes. Retrieved 1 June 2020.
- Alexander, Ella (5 December 2014). "Monica Bellucci: Inside the world of the new Bond woman, not the new Bond girl". The Independent. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- Sajip, Arjun (22 June 2018). "Monica Bellucci tells Glass how she leads her life through her work". Glass magazine. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- "Fantasies (2021)". imdb.com. Retrieved 3 July 2021.