2000 UEFA Cup Final

The 2000 UEFA Cup Final was a football match that took place on 17 May 2000 at Parken Stadium in Copenhagen, Denmark to decide the winner of the 1999–2000 UEFA Cup. The game event pitted Galatasaray of Turkey and Arsenal of England, and was the final match of the 1999–2000 season, the 29th final of Europe's second largest club football competition, the UEFA Cup. It was Galatasaray's first appearance in a final of a European tournament and Arsenal's first UEFA Cup final.

2000 UEFA Cup Final
The match programme cover
Event1999–2000 UEFA Cup
After golden goal extra time
Galatasaray won 4–1 on penalties
Date17 May 2000
VenueParken Stadium, Copenhagen
Man of the MatchCláudio Taffarel (Galatasaray)[1]
RefereeAntonio López Nieto (Spain)[2]
WeatherLight rain
13 °C (55 °F)
94% humidity[3]

Both clubs competed in the 1999–2000 UEFA Champions League; with each team finishing in third place of the first group stage, Galatasaray behind Chelsea and Hertha Berlin and Arsenal behind Barcelona and Fiorentina, thus exiting the competition, and qualifying for the third round of the UEFA Cup. From there, the two sides advanced through the fourth round, the quarter-finals and the semi-finals to progress to the final. Galatasaray overcame Bologna, Borussia Dortmund, Mallorca and Leeds United on their way, while Arsenal defeated Nantes, Deportivo La Coruña, Werder Bremen and Lens.

The match was attended by 38,919 spectators, as Galatasaray won 4–1 on penalties following extra time, making it the first time for a Turkish side to win a European honour. They also obtained a Treble, having also won the Turkish league championship and the Turkish domestic cup titles. As a result of their triumph, Galatasaray became the first UEFA Cup winner to compete for the UEFA Super Cup, following the dissolution of the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, and also initially qualified for the later-cancelled 2001 FIFA Club World Championship. The final was somewhat marred by the riots between supporters of the two sides.

Route to the final

Galatasaray Round Arsenal
UEFA Champions League
Opponent Agg. 1st leg 2nd leg Qualifying round Opponent Agg. 1st leg 2nd leg
Rapid Wien 4–0 3–0 (A) 1–0 (H) Third qualifying round N/A
Opponent Result First group stage Opponent Result
Hertha BSC 2–2 (H) Matchday 1 Fiorentina 0–0 (A)
Milan 2–1 (A) Matchday 2 AIK 3–1 (H)
Chelsea 1–0 (A) Matchday 3 Barcelona 1–1 (A)
Chelsea 0–5 (H) Matchday 4 Barcelona 2–4 (H)
Hertha BSC 1–4 (A) Matchday 5 Fiorentina 0–1 (H)
Milan 3–2 (H) Matchday 6 AIK 3–2 (A)
Group H third place
Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 Chelsea 6 3 2 1 10 3 +7 11 Advance to second group stage
2 Hertha BSC 6 2 2 2 7 10 3 8
3 Galatasaray 6 2 1 3 10 13 3 7 Transfer to UEFA Cup
4 Milan 6 1 3 2 6 7 1 6
Source: UEFA
Final standings Group B third place
Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 Barcelona 6 4 2 0 19 9 +10 14 Advance to second group stage
2 Fiorentina 6 2 3 1 9 7 +2 9
3 Arsenal 6 2 2 2 9 9 0 8 Transfer to UEFA Cup
4 AIK 6 0 1 5 4 16 12 1
Source: UEFA
Opponent Agg. 1st leg 2nd leg Opponent Agg. 1st leg 2nd leg
Bologna 3–2 1–1 (A) 2–1 (H) Third round Nantes 6–3 3–0 (H) 3–3 (A)
Borussia Dortmund 2–0 2–0 (A) 0–0 (H) Fourth round Deportivo La Coruña 6–3 5–1 (H) 1–2 (A)
Mallorca 6–2 4–1 (A) 2–1 (H) Quarter-finals Werder Bremen 6–2 2–0 (H) 4–2 (A)
Leeds United 4–2 2–0 (H) 2–2 (A) Semi-finals Lens 3–1 1–0 (H) 2–1 (A)


Galatasaray were required to qualify for the group stage, as Turkey's country coefficient only held qualifying places.[4] The Turks entered the third qualifying round of the 1999–2000 UEFA Champions League, the final qualifying game of the competition, where they competed against Rapid Wien in two matches.[5] Galatasaray won the first leg with 3–0 at the Ernst-Happel-Stadion,[6] and earned their spot in the first group stage following a 1–0 win at their home arena, Ali Sami Yen Stadium in the decisive leg.[7] Galatasaray were scheduled to take part in Group G, containing Chelsea, Hertha BSC and Milan.[8] Six matches were played, as they recorded a total two wins, one draw and three defeats,[9] thus descending into the third round of the UEFA Cup.[10]

Galatasaray playing Leeds United during the second leg match at Elland Road

Galatasaray faced Bologna in the competition's third round.[11] The first game was played at Stadio Renato Dall'Ara, which ended in a 1–1 draw; the Italian side took the lead after a Giuseppe Signori goal during the second half, before Hakan Şükür levelled the score, with eight minutes remaining.[12] At home, the Turkish side scored twice during the first half, and conceded once, as they won the match 2–1, and the overall leg 3–2.[13] Galatasaray were pitted against Borussia Dortmund in the fourth round.[11] Gala won 2–0 away at Westfalenstadion,[14] while a scoreless draw in the homecoming match was enough for Galatasaray to see them through.[15]

In the quarter-finals, Galatasaray's opponents were Mallorca.[11] They won the first match with 4–1, which was played at Son Moix.[16] They booked their place in the next round by clinching a 2–1 home victory in the return leg, winning 6–2 on aggregate.[17] Galatasaray were up against Leeds United in the semi-finals.[11] The Istanbul side began their first game on home soil with a 2–0 win, following goals by Şükür and Capone.[18] At Elland Road, their second match ended in a 2–2 stalemate, with Gheorghe Hagi and Şükür netting, thus winning the tie 4–2 and proceeding to the final.[19]


Arsenal qualified automatically into the Champions League group stage because of England's country coefficient.[4] They were drawn in Group B, along with AIK, Barcelona and Fiorentina.[8] Each club played six matches, with Arsenal registering two victories, two draws and two defeats.[20] This meant they finished in third place, one point behind second place holders Fiorentina,[20] and hence entered the third round stage of the UEFA Cup.[21]

Arsenal competed against Nantes in the third round of the contest.[11] At their home venue, Arsenal Stadium, they defeated the French club 3–0,[22] before recording a 3–3 draw at the Stade de la Beaujoire, ensuring the Gunners a 6–3 aggregate victory.[23] They battled Deportivo La Coruña in the fourth round.[11] Arsenal played at their home ground in the first match, and comprehensively beat the Spanish outfit by five goals to one,[24] before suffering a 2–1 loss at Estadio Municipal de Riazor, which was still enough to take the English side to the next round on aggregate.[25]

Werder Bremen were next up in the quarter-finals.[11] Goals apiece by Thierry Henry and Freddie Ljungberg helped them to a 2–0 victory at home.[26] Arsenal sealed their place in the semi-finals in the second leg played at the Weserstadion, a match which they won 4–2 after Ray Parlour's hat-trick and a lone Henry goal to register a 6–2 aggregate win.[27] In the semi-finals, Arsenal collided with Lens.[11] The first leg took place at home, and the Gunners won by one goal to nil, through an early goal scored by Dennis Bergkamp.[28] They advanced at Stade Félix-Bollaert with a 2–1 victory, overall winning 3–1 to reach the final.[29]



Galatasaray and Arsenal met each other for the first time in a European football competition, though the Turkish outfit had faced English clubs formerly on eight occasions.[30] Their first was against Manchester United, in the 1993–94 Champions League second round, which they won 3–3 on away goals in a two-legged match.[31][32] Both teams were reunited in the following season of the group stage, which concluded in a goalless tie and a Galatasaray blow.[33][34] Other meetings include against West Bromwich Albion in the commencing round of the 1978–79 UEFA Cup,[35][36] and Chelsea in this year's Champions League campaign.[37][38] Arsenal by contrast ran into Turkish opposition twice, both of them against Fenerbahçe in the 1979–80 European Cup Winners' Cup first round; the home game was won by the English side 2–0, while the away leg ended in a 0–0 draw.[39][40]

Arsenal had a better European record, compared to Galatasaray going into the match; they defeated Anderlecht with a 4–3 aggregate winning result, in the final of the 1969–70 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.[41][42] The London-based club reached the Cup Winners' Cup finales three times, in 1980, where they suffered a 5–4 defeat in a penalty shoot-out to Valencia, following a 0–0 stalemate;[43] Arsenal also reached the 1994 final, winning 1–0 over Parma,[44] and the following edition, losing 2–1 at the hands of Real Zaragoza.[45] Their 1994 success led to them qualifying for that year's European Super Cup, where they were beaten 2–0 by Milan on aggregate in two games.[46][47] This was Arsenal's first UEFA Cup (sixth in total) European final.[48] The club were considered favorites to win the match.[49]

Galatasaray entered the final in search for a Treble.[50] Their fourteenth and fourth successive Turkish league title was confirmed on the final matchday.[51] The Turkish club added the domestic cup to their trophy cabinet, after Antalyaspor was defeated with a 5–3 victory in the 2000 Turkish Cup Final.[52] The side participated in their first UEFA Cup and European competition final,[53] while also becoming the first ever team from Turkey to make the final in a UEFA club football competition.[54]


Before the final, both finalists were awarded 12,000 tickets.[55] The Danish Football Union announced that 9,000 tickets would be offered, for sale to the public, while the remaining 3,000 were sold to other European countries.[56] UEFA allocated another 3,000 tickets to their officials and VIP members.[55] Problems ensued after it was revealed that Galatasaray had been charging the tickets more than the original price, in order to prevent some football hooligans from entering the ground. The Turkish club's secretary general however, denied this and insisted that the tickets were being sold at their original price and to support the stadium and the club's other sporting activities.[57]


Parken Stadium, the venue of the final

Parken Stadium was selected as the venue for the final, after a decision made by the UEFA Executive Committee.[58] It is located in the Indre Østerbro territory in Copenhagen;[59] the site was once known as Idrætsparken,[60] with the opening premiere held in 1911.[61] It was the home of the Denmark national football team and Kjøbenhavns Boldklub's (KB) matches, until 1990,[62][63] when the venue underwent reconstruction by the Danish lending company Baltica Finans A/S,[61] with the former scrapped in favour of the new name, Parken Stadium.[61] The concept was supported by the Danish Football Union with a contract that all of Denmark's national games would take place at the stadium for fifteen years.[64] The price of the renovation was DKK640 million (£740 million).[65] It made its debut two years later, in 1992,[61] and has since then been the home base for F.C. Copenhagen's fixtures.[66]

This was the second occasion that a major European final had been staged at Parken. The venue also hosted the 1994 Cup Winners' Cup Final between Arsenal and Parma.[67]

Match ball

Adidas Terrestra Silverstream was the official match ball used in the final.[68] It was assembled and marketed by German sport firm Adidas, and was the ninth ball in the European Championship series,[69] as well as part of the Adidas Finale.[70] The ball's design was created by British independent brand specialist company Design Bridge,[71] and influenced by the waters, in the Netherlands and Belgium.[69] The ball contains synthetic foam layers, making it more comfortable to grip and smoother to control.[72] The Terrestra Silverstream was later unveiled as the official match ball of the UEFA Euro 2000.[73]

Match officials

Before the final, a match official team from the Royal Spanish Football Federation was appointed, with Antonio López Nieto as the main referee of the final,[74] his second UEFA Cup final since 1998 between Inter Milan and Lazio.[75] Nieto obtained his international referee badge in 1993,[76] and had previously taken charge of 30 European tournament games – 15 UEFA Champions League and 15 UEFA Cup matches.[77] The Spaniard made his European debut in the second leg of the first-round tie between Manchester United and Honvéd in the 1993–94 UEFA Champions League.[77][78] He was also present in the match referees squad during the UEFA Euro 1996 qualifiers and the main event,[77] as well as at the 1998 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.[77]

Nieto was joined by assistant referees Fernando Tresaco Gracia and Victoriano Giráldez Carrasco and fourth official Arturo Daudén Ibáñez.[2][79]

Opening ceremony

An opening ceremony was held, prior to the match. At the start of the event, cheerleading girls dressed in pom-pom clothing stepped onto the football pitch to entertain the crowd; the routine also featured a small number of Danish–Turkish girls from a local school, performing a folk dance display containing Turkish elements.[80] The act was succeeded by an appearance from Danish pop singer and actor Stig Rossen, who sang an alternative version of the notable song "Wonderful Copenhagen".[80][81] Prince Joachim of Denmark, the youngest of Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik's two children, welcomed the opening ceremony by making a short speech to all the seated spectators in the stadium.[82][83]


The final was made available on television, across 185 countries, with an estimated 500 million viewers.[84] Danish television channel DR1 announced that they would use seventeen cameras, for the match coverage.[84] In the United Kingdom, BBC One, the main channel of the public television corporation, the British Broadcasting Corporation acquired the rights for the final;[85] the network broadcast the event, with live commentary provided by veteran professional sports pundit and television presenter Barry Davies, who was assisted by former English footballer Trevor Brooking.[86] In the United Kingdom, the final came second in the overnight ratings list, with 9.1 million viewers, behind an episode of Coronation Street.[87] The game was shown on Fox Sports World in the United States.[88] In Turkey, the match was broadcast on the public television channel TRT 1.[84]


First half

Arsenal started the match through a kick-off by Henry.[89] Three minutes into the match, captain Tony Adams attempted to clear the ball with a header,[90] only for it to land at the feet of Arif Erdem, who attempted a volley from outside the Arsenal area that was deflected on to the post, with Galatasaray being awarded a corner. Erdem took it, but failed to trouble the defence and the ball was easily cleared.[89] Arsenal responded via Bergkamp, who received the ball from Marc Overmars; Bergkamp attempted to outrun Galatasaray defenders Capone and Gheorghe Popescu and into their area, but he was unable to keep the ball in play.[89] Arsenal fashioned more chances, as Overmars won a one-on-one encounter against Capone, trying to reach Bergkamp, but the ball was easily read by Popescu and put out for a corner. The corner came to nothing, with Patrick Vieira trying to hit the ball, but an opportunity went to Henry, whose shot went over the bar.[90] A third of the match played, Arsenal were awarded a free-kick after Okan Buruk received a yellow card for a slide tackle on Vieira.[89]

Martin Keown took the free-kick, which Popescu unsuccessfully attempted to clear, giving Overmars a shot on goal, a volley which went over. One minute later, Galatasaray's first opportunity came when Erdem received a straight ball from a Hagi-taken free-kick and took a shot, which goalkeeper David Seaman managed to keep out with his left hand for a corner. The corner was taken, but no Galatasaray player was available to direct the ball towards the goal. Arsenal would create more opportunities, when Sylvinho snatched the ball from Hagi and ran down Galatasaray's left, before putting in a cross to the running Henry, who was halted by a clearance from Bülent Korkmaz.[89] As Galatasaray grew more into the game, Erdem exchanged passes with Şükür, whose bicycle kick went completely off target.[89] Arsenal began creating more chances – in the 35th minute, Overmars made a low powerful shot on goal, forcing Cláudio Taffarel to make a diving save.[89] Overmars then made another run into the area, but his attempt went across the goal. Galatasaray nearly took the lead with only two minutes of the first half remaining, when Şükür found Erdem, who beat the offside trap. However, his shot went just wide.[89]

Second half

Galatasaray kicked off the second half, with neither team having made any substitutions. During the third minute, Vieira picked out Parlour, but his shot hit the outside of the net. Galatasaray almost scored the opening goal, when Okan Buruk played in Hakan Şükür, whose shot hit the right post.[89] Arsenal attempted to strike, with Sylvinho passing Hagi, and finding Henry, who in turn put in a cross for Keown, only for his shot to go over.[89][90] Later, Parlour sent a long ball into the Galatasaray midfield, but no Arsenal player was there to pick up the ball.[89] A free-kick was given to Bergkamp after a foul on Overmars, but it was cleared with a Popescu header.[89] Galatasaray attempted an attack on the counter, with Capone giving the ball to Hagi, who lost his balance while preparing to take a shot. After receiving a pass, Hagi put in a wide cross for Şükür, but he was denied a shot on target after a clearance.[89] Arsenal had another chance, when Henry snatched the ball from Korkmaz, and entered the penalty area, only to see his shot to go off target.[89]

A throw-in by Hagi led to Şükür attempting to reach Erdem, who was in the penalty area, but he was tackled and play continued,[89] which saw Arsenal attack on the counter under Parlour, whose volley went wide. Overmars then had an opportunity, after being given the ball by Henry, but the shot was off target.[89] In the 70th minute, Korkmaz exchanged passes with Erdem, but his effort was successfully blocked by Tony Adams.[89] Three minutes later, Parlour attempted a bending cross for Henry, but Taffarel read it easily.[89] A well-played pass by Nwankwo Kanu ensured the ball reached Henry on the left area, who proceeded to give it to Overmars in the penalty area. Overmars's shot fell flat, but was still enough to force Taffarel to make a save.[89] With four minutes of normal time remaining, the Turks came close to a winning goal, when Şükür collected the ball from the centre and entered Arsenal's area, but lost his footing before he could make an effort on goal, allowing Seaman to pick up the ball. Two minutes of injury time were added on, just when a free-kick was awarded to Galatasaray.[89] Şükür took the shot, but the ball went around the wall and wide.[89] It proved to be the final event in normal time, as the match entered extra time.

Extra time

With the match entering extra time and the golden goal rule applying, both sides had chances to score the decisive goal. In the second minute, Henry beat two defenders to enter the opponent's area, but his shot went just across the goal.[89] Shortly after, Hagi received a straight red card,[89] after game footage showed the player holding and striking Adams in the back; the Arsenal captain was awarded a yellow card for hitting Hagi during the altercation.[91] As a result, Arsenal began to put the Turkish side under pressure by creating more chances through Henry, who almost won the game when he directed a header on goal from a long cross by Parlour,[89] which Taffarel managed to keep out. Overmars's effort was then blocked by a Galatasaray defender.[89]

Near the start of the second half in extra time, Galatasaray's first opportunity came, when Şükür attempted a shot from a Popescu cross,[89] but the ball hit the side netting. After seven minutes, Kanu beat a defender, dribbled into the Galatasaray area and shot the ball twice,[89] only to be denied twice by Taffarel. In the dying minutes both teams continued to create decisive chances – Galatasaray's Popescu was given a free-kick, after Şükür was brought down by Keown.[90] However, the ball flew straight into Seaman's arms. Arsenal's Sylvinho put in a cross into the Galatasaray area to Henry, but ball was cleared away.[89] The final whistle was blown and the match moved into a penalty shoot-out.

Penalty shoot-out

Galatasaray's Ergün Penbe stepped up to take the first spot kick and scored. He placed the ball inside the near right-hand corner, just past Seaman, who dived to his left. Davor Šuker was the first man up to take Arsenal's penalty kick. His effort proved to be unsuccessful, as the ball hit the left-hand post and bounced off the goal. Şükür became the next player to take Galatasaray's spot kick. He scored as he lobbed the ball in the right-hand corner. With Galatasaray leading 2–0, Arsenal's next penalty taker was Parlour. He placed the ball on the spot and successfully scored by burying the ball to Taffarel's right to make it 2–1. Ümit Davala calmly placed the goal, near the centre of the goal to make it 3–1 to Galatasaray. Arsenal's only hope now was Vieira, but the midfielder missed and hit the crossbar instead. Popescu then stepped up, and netted with a powerful shot, as Galatasaray won the penalty shoot-out 4–1.[53][90][91]


Galatasaray 0–0 (a.e.t.) Arsenal
4–1 Šuker
Parken Stadium, Copenhagen
Attendance: 38,919[93]
Referee: Antonio López Nieto (Spain)[74]
GK1 Cláudio Taffarel
RB35 Capone 71'
CB4 Gheorghe Popescu  63'
CB3 Bülent Korkmaz (c)  18'
LB67 Ergün Penbe
RM7 Okan Buruk 12' 83'
CM22 Ümit Davala
CM8 Suat Kaya 95'
LM10 Gheorghe Hagi 94'
CF6 Arif Erdem 48' 95'
CF9 Hakan Şükür
GK30 Kerem İnan
DF14 Fatih Akyel
DF33 Hakan Ünsal 83'
MF16 Ahmet Yıldırım 95'
MF18 Mehmet Yozgatlı
MF23 Hasan Şaş 119' 95'
MF36 Márcio Mixirica
Fatih Terim
GK1 David Seaman
RB2 Lee Dixon
CB6 Tony Adams (c) 94'
CB5 Martin Keown 40'
LB16 Sylvinho
RM15 Ray Parlour
CM17 Emmanuel Petit
CM4 Patrick Vieira 23'
LM11 Marc Overmars 115'
CF14 Thierry Henry
CF10 Dennis Bergkamp 75'
GK24 John Lukic
DF3 Nigel Winterburn
DF22 Oleh Luzhny
MF18 Gilles Grimandi
MF19 Stefan Malz
FW9 Davor Šuker 115'
FW25 Nwankwo Kanu 75'
Arsène Wenger

Man of the Match:
Cláudio Taffarel (Galatasaray)[1]

Assistant referees:
Fernando Tresaco Gracia (Spain)[2]
Victoriano Giráldez Carrasco (Spain)[2]
Fourth official:
Arturo Daudén Ibáñez (Spain)[79]

Match rules

  • 90 minutes.
  • 30 minutes of golden goal extra time if necessary.
  • Penalty shoot-out if scores still level.
  • Seven named substitutes.
  • Maximum of three substitutions.



After the players had collected their medals, UEFA president Lennart Johansson handed over the trophy to Bülent Korkmaz. Korkmaz celebrated by raising the silverware, together with Şükür and the rest of the Galatasaray squad on the podium, including the ejected Hagi himself as golden confetti rained down.[96][97] A selected UEFA panel named Taffarel as the man of the match, and presented him with a trophy after the game.[1][98]

Galatasaray manager Fatih Terim expressed his delight following his side's victory. He was interviewed by the Turkish press and dedicated the cup to Turkey and its public, particularly to those who lost their lives during the 1999 İzmit earthquake: "Many people suffered terribly in the earthquake in Turkey last year and if this victory brings some happiness back into their lives then I am delighted and so are all the players. We are very proud if we are able to help the Turkish people in some small way and this victory is for the whole country and all of the soccer fans in Turkey. I believe they were all united behind us. Terim also praised his own players and Taffarel: "I am proud and delighted he is in my team. He was magnificent and thoroughly deserved to be man of the match". Popescu, a former defender of Tottenham Hotspur, also indulged in the triumph and said: "I am sure the fans at my old club are delighted as well!"[99]

Galatasaray celebrating their win after being handed the accolade by UEFA President Lennart Johansson

As some Arsenal players were seen consoling each other,[100] manager Arsène Wenger was left to rue the defeat and said that his Arsenal side could not take their chances: "It was not a huge advantage for us to have Hagi sent off, sometimes you defend better with 10 men because everybody is focused." He was displeased with the penalty shoot-out and criticised Spanish referee Antonio López Nieto for deciding the penalty shoot-out to take place in front of Galatasaray fans. Wenger was also unhappy with the decision made by UEFA officials regarding a coin toss during extra time, which would affect where the spot kicks would be taken.[101][102]

The win was widely celebrated in Turkey; Galatasaray players and staff received a hero's welcome in Istanbul from the club's fans.[103] The Turkish media hailed the match as one of the best achievements in their sports history and the biggest in football, the country's most popular sport. The Ministry of Youth and Sports minister Fikret Ünlü, who attended the final, described the performance as "marvelous" and "a big present from Galatasaray to Turkey".[104] Ahmet Necdet Sezer, the President of Turkey highlighted the club's success by awarding the team with the State Medal of Distinguished Service, as a result for winning the country's first European competition.[105] In August 2013 the two sides met in an Emirates Cup pre-season match. The friendly ended in a 2–1 win for Galatasaray.[106][107]

Fan riots

The City Hall Square, where the riots took place

The final was overshadowed by riots between the two sides – it began when Galatasaray fans stormed a club in Strøget, composed of Arsenal supporters.[108] Arsenal fans responded by provoking the Galatasaray followers, along with fans of other clubs involved, as retribution for the two Leeds United supporters murdered, before the club's semi-final first leg match against Galatasaray.[109] Four Britons and Turks were apprehended by the Danish riot police following the violence.[110] The turmoil was covered by some British media; tabloid newspaper the Daily Mirror, published images, believed to be the Arsenal fans involved in the onslaught,[111] while BBC News, ITN News and Sky News reported and broadcast television footage of the riots.[112]

One Arsenal supporter, Paul Dineen was stabbed in the back with a knife, during the riots in a pub, near the City Hall Square.[113] The incident caused Arsenal to offer their fans full compensation, if they did not want to travel and attend the match.[114] Another three members of the public, identified as one Englishman, Turk and Dutchman were also wounded by knifing when the event was still under its way.[115] Sixty people, all presumed to have been involved, were detained by Danish law enforcement, while another 19 suffered injuries as a result of the violence.[116]

See also

  • 2000 UEFA Super Cup
  • Arsenal F.C. in European football
  • Galatasaray S.K. in European football


  1. "Herrera named man of the match". UEFA.com. 24 May 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
  2. "Spaniard ref for the final". Hürriyet Daily News. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
  3. "Weather information for Copenhagen, Denmark – Wednesday, May 17, 2000". Weather Underground. The Weather Company. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
  4. "UEFA Champions League: 1999/2000 Format explained". UEFA.com. Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. 20 May 1999. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
  5. Bassey, Okan Steven (13 August 1999). "Rapid Vienna meets with its nemesis Cim Bom, again". Hürriyet Daily News. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
  6. "Viyana'da tur valsi 3–0". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 12 August 1999. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
  7. "Cim Bom puts a smile back on faces of Turks". Hürriyet Daily News. 27 August 1999. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
  8. "Sport: Football – Draw goes easy on Man Utd". BBC News. 26 August 1999. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
  9. "Champions League stage one tables". BBC News. BBC. 23 November 1999. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
  10. "Il Milan beffato bel finale fuori anche calla Coppa Uefa". La Repubblica (in Italian). 3 November 1999. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
  11. "The road to Copenhagen". BBC News. BBC. 16 May 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  12. "Bologna beffato bel finale Solo un pari con i turchi". La Repubblica (in Italian). 23 November 1999. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  13. "Bologna eliminato". Rai Sport (in Italian). Radiotelevisione italians S.p.A. 9 December 1999. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  14. "Galatasaray eroberte Dortmund: Nie gefährdeter Sieg der Gäste". Kicker (in German). 2 March 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  15. "Uefa-Cup II: Planlos, schwach, Borussia Dortmund". Der Spiegel (in German). 9 March 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  16. "Turkish delight in Istanbul". Irish Independent. 17 March 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  17. "Galatasaray 2–1 Real Mallorca". BBC News. BBC. 23 March 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  18. "Leeds fall short of glory". BBC News. BBC. 20 April 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  19. "Galatasaray has final word at Leeds". ESPN (Entertainment and Sports Programming Network). Reuters. 20 April 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  20. "Group B standings". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. Archived from the original on 6 June 2000. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
  21. Lacey, David (28 October 1999). "Batistuta blasts the Gunners out". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
  22. Brodkin, Jon (26 November 1999). "Arsenal enjoy homecoming parade". Theguardian.com. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  23. Pierce, Bill (10 December 1999). "Football: French duo seal Arsenal's advance". The Independent. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  24. "Gunners blow away Deportivo". BBC News. BBC. 2 March 2000. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  25. "Arsenal stroll into quarters". BBC News. BBC. 9 March 2000. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  26. "Gunners blaze into Bremen". BBC News. BBC. 16 March 2000. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  27. Brodkin, Jon (24 March 2000). "Parlour's goals do the trick". The Irish Times. Archived from the original on 28 October 2000. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  28. "Gunners fail to build on Bergkamp's early strike; Arsenal 1 Lens 0". The Birmingham Post. 7 April 2000. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  29. "Henry, Kanu give Arsenal place in final". ESPN (Entertainment and Sports Programming Network). Reuters. 20 April 2000. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  30. "Galatasaray'ın İngiliz karnesi kötü". NTV MSNBC (in Turkish). 12 May 2000. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  31. Lovejoy, Joe (21 October 1993). "Turks find delight in upstaging United: Cantona rescues Old Trafford record – Graham's Gunners have measure of Standard – Portuguese pride dented". The Independent. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  32. Lovejoy, Joe (4 November 1993). "European football: United in disarray as Turks end the dream: Cantona sent off as England's finest fail". The Independent. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  33. "United Draws Galatasaray, Not Blood". The Moscow Times. 30 September 1994. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  34. Paul, Ian (9 December 1994). "Four United graduates prove UEFA have degree of sense". The Herald. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  35. "West Brom dominate". The Guardian. 14 September 1978. p. 20.
  36. "Liverpool beaten". The Guardian. 28 September 1978. p. 1.
  37. "Petrescu keeps Chelsea dreams alive". BBC News. BBC. 28 September 1999. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  38. Hughes, Rob (22 October 1999). "Champions League: Chelsea Stays Cool in Hell's Inferno". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  39. "Flashback: Arsenal 2–0 Fenerbahce – 1979". Arsenal Football Club. 4 November 2008. Archived from the original on 26 August 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  40. Armstrong, Robert (3 October 1979). "Turks lack Arsenal's flair". The Guardian. p. 25.
  41. Barham, Albert (23 April 1970). "Kennedy gives Arsenal hope". The Guardian. p. 31.
  42. Barham, Albert (29 April 1970). "Triumph for Arsenal". The Guardian. p. 21.
  43. Armstrong, Robert (15 May 1980). "Arsenal pay the penalty". The Guardian. p. 22.
  44. Lovejoy, Joe (5 May 1994). "Football / European Cup-Winners Cup: Smith's strike brings Arsenal European glory: Battling Londoners make light of the loss of Wright and Jensen". The Independent. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  45. Moore, Glenn (11 May 1995). "Extraordinary Nayim strike denies Arsenal". The Independent. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  46. Moore, Glenn (2 February 1995). "Highbury welcomes Merson back". The Independent. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  47. "Milan Captures Super Cup". The Moscow Times. 10 February 1995. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  48. "Arsenal profile – History". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  49. "Appeal for Uefa Cup calm". BBC News. BBC. 16 May 2000. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
  50. "Galatasaray confident of treble victory". Independent Online (South Africa). 15 May 2000. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
  51. "Galatasaray clinches title with Besiktas defeat". CNN Sports Illustrated. Cable News Network. Reuters. 14 May 2000. Archived from the original on 10 April 2008. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
  52. "Turkey's Galatasaray on course for treble". CNN Sports Illustrated. Cable News Network. 4 May 2000. Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
  53. "Penalty heartbreak for Arsenal". BBC News. BBC (BBC. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
  54. "Galatasaray passion could be key". Football Sports. Reuters. 16 May 2000. Archived from the original on 20 June 2000. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
  55. Sills, Adam (25 April 2000). "Ticket sale sparks Arsenal final fears". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  56. "UEFA Cup-finalen i København: Udsolgt". Danish Football Union (in Danish). 24 April 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  57. "Galatasaray denies hiking tickets". CNN Sports Illustrated. Cable News Network. Associated Press. 11 May 2000. Archived from the original on 13 August 2007. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  58. "Paris and Copenhagen awarded UEFA club competition finals". UEFA. Archived from the original on 14 November 1999. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
  59. "Parkering". Telia Parken (in Danish). Archived from the original on 26 August 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  60. "Idrætsparken". Danish Football Union. Archived from the original on 22 December 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  61. "Parkens historie". Telia Parken (in Danish). Archived from the original on 26 August 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  62. "Landsholdets historie 1889–". Danish Football Union (in Danish). Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  63. "Samtlige Europa Cup-kampe for mesterhold / Champions League-kampe for mesterhold / Champions League-kampe spiller på Københavns Idrætspark". Foot.dk (in Danish). Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  64. "DBU tilfreds med Parken". Danish Football Union (in Danish). 12 December 2002. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  65. Berendt, Lars (17 November 2009). "DBU forlænger med Parken". Danish Football Union (in Danish). Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  66. "Fodbold". Parken. Archived from the original on 11 October 2000. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
  67. "Arsenal, Galatasaray ready for final". The World Game. Special Broadcasting Service. Australian Associated Press. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  68. Ronbog, Lars (17 May 2000). "UEFA Cup finale Arsenal – Galatasaray, Parken". Getty Images. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  69. "Photos: The evolution adidas' official Euro 2012 match ball". Xinmsn. 12 December 2011. Archived from the original on 26 August 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  70. Colino, Carmen (20 April 2002). "Finale, el balón de la final de Glasgow". Diario AS (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  71. Smith, Martin (1 July 2000). "Euro 2000 Diary". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
  72. "Reporters with hunting knives become the hunted". The Hindu. 10 June 2000. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  73. "Euro–2000: "Terrestra" a bola de cor prateada". Record (in Portuguese). 14 December 1999. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
  74. "UEFA Cup Final officials". Arsenal F.C. official website. 15 May 2000. Archived from the original on 18 September 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  75. "La vigil di Lazio–Inter". Rai Sport (in Italian). Radiotelevisione italians S.p.A. 5 May 1998. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  76. "Referees – Antonio López Nieto". FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association). Archived from the original on 9 October 2002. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
  77. "Antonio López Nieto profile". Worldreferee. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  78. "López Nieto: El futbolista inglés se dedica a jugar y no a engañar al colegiado". ABC Sevilla (in Spanish). ABC. 2 October 1993. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  79. "UEFA Cup Final officials". Arsenal Football Club. 15 May 2000. Archived from the original on 18 September 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  80. "Stig Rossens største publikum". Danish Football Union (in Danish). 12 May 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  81. Walker, Michael (18 May 2000). "Wasteful Arsenal pay the penalty". The Irish Times. Archived from the original on 20 June 2000. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
  82. "Prins Joachim byder held verden velkommen". Danish Football Union (in Danish). 12 May 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  83. "Gunners favored over Galatasaray in UEFA Cup final". CBC. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. 15 May 2000. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
  84. "UEFA Cup final on TV in 185 countries". Hürriyet Daily News. Reuters. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
  85. "Gunners in Shoot-Out for Glory; UEFA Cup Final BBC 1, 7.30pm". Daily Record. 13 May 2000. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
  86. Davies, Barry; Brooking, Trevor (17 May 2000). 2000 UEFA Cup Final (Television production). BBC.
  87. "Overnight ratings – Football scores with ITV and BBC viewers". Broadcast. 26 May 2000. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
  88. "Fox Sports World kicks off UEFA Cup 2000 sweepstakes; grand prize winner to experience the UEFA Cup Final in Copenhagen". Business Wire. 22 March 2000. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
  89. "Galatasaray 0–0 Arsenal". Theguardian.com. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
  90. Brodkin, Jon (18 May 2000). "Arsenal pay the penalty". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
  91. "Galatasaray 4 Arsenal 1 UEFA Cup Final (youtube.com)". Galatasaray. 24 January 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
  92. "Galatasaray the pride of Turkey". UEFA. 1 June 2000. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
  93. "UEFA Cup finals" (PDF). UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. pp. 63, 71. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
  94. "Team Line-ups – Final – Wednesday 17 May 2000". UEFA (Union of European Football Associations). Ebay. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  95. "Match statistics – Arsenal–Galatasaray". This is London. 17 May 2000. Archived from the original on 31 March 2002. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
  96. Tozar, Türker (3 December 2008). "Cup carries special resonance for Korkmaz". UEFA. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
  97. "Gözümde canlanır koskoca mazi." Ajansspor (in Turkish). 11 May 2010. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
  98. "Press pack – Galatasaray – Arsenal". UEFA (Union of European Football Associations). CollectSoccer. 17 May 2000. Archived from the original on 20 December 2013. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
  99. Bradley, Mark (18 May 2000). "Sad Gunners feel pain of Popescu's spurs; Galatasaray 0 Arsenal 0 (AET: Galatasaray win 4–1 on penalties)". Birmingham Post. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
  100. Cole, Phil (17 May 2000). "Marc Overmars, Martin Keown". Getty Images. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
  101. "Wenger anger over shoot-out". BBC News. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
  102. "Turkish delight as Gunners lose nerve". The Herald. 18 May 2000. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
  103. "Turkey honors Galatasaray for UEFA Cup win". CNN Sports Illustrated. Cable News Network. Associated Press. 19 May 2000. Archived from the original on 12 July 2001. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
  104. "Turkish delight – Galatasaray wins UEFA Cup on penalty kicks". CNN Sports Illustrated. Cable News Network. Associated Press. 17 May 2000. Archived from the original on 8 April 2008. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
  105. "Galatasaray to be awarded highest possible honors". Hürriyet Daily News. 19 May 2000. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
  106. "Emirates Cup returns for summer 2013". Arsenal F.C. official website. 15 May 2013. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
  107. Van Wijk, Jim (4 August 2013). "Arsenal 1 Galatasaray 2 match report: Didier Drogba returns to haunt Gunners as Turkish side win Emirates Cup". The Independent. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
  108. Hansen, Flemming Emil; Weiss, Jakob; Wiig, Anders (19 May 2000). "Hooligans af værste caliber". Berlingske Tidende (in Danish). Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  109. Campbell, Denis (14 May 2000). "Soldiers join hooligans to attack Turks in Cup clash". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  110. "English, Turkish fans clash on eve final". ESPN (Entertainment and Sports Programming Network). Associated Press. 16 May 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  111. "Faces of Hatred". Daily Mirror. 19 May 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  112. UEFA Cup Final: Violence. ITN Source (Video clip). Independent Television News. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  113. "Teargas fired on fighting fans". BBC News. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  114. "English fan stabbed in Copenhagen". Theguardian.com. 17 May 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  115. "Three more stabbed in Copenhagen". BBC News. BBC. 18 May 2000. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
  116. Chaudhary, Vivek; Wilson, Jamie (19 May 2000). "Turkish and English fans clash at airport". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.