- Also known as "sinus squeeze"
- Occurs during scuba diving or air flight due to changes in pressure within a non-draining sinus.
- Pain over affected sinus, possible bleeding from nares
- Ascent can cause expulsion of blood and mucous into nares and mask.
- Front sinus most commonly affected, followed by maxillary sinus
- Infraorbital branch of fifth cranial nerve runs along base of maxillary sinus, and can have neuropraxia involving lip and cheek.
- Teeth pain can occur.
- Ethmoid sinus can dissect air through lamina papyracea and cause periorbital emphysema.
- Barotrauma of descent
- Barotrauma of ascent
- At depth injuries
- Usually clinical
- Decongestants (pseudoephedrine, oxymetazoline)
- Consider antibiotics
- Generally discharge