- Also known as shock liver
- Condition where the liver is injured acutely due to lack of blood flow for any number of reasons.
- Occurs frequently secondary to shock
Causes of acute hepatitis
- Acetaminophen toxicity (most common cause of acute liver failure in the US)
- Viral hepatitis
- Acute alcoholic hepatitis
- Ischemic hepatitis
- Treat underlying shock
- Ostapowicz G, Fontana RJ, Schiodt FV, et al. Results of a prospective study of acute liver failure at 17 tertiary care centers in the United States. Ann Intern Med. 2002 Dec 17; 137(12): 947-54.