I'm a musician and after having started into mixing at home with nothing more than a good pair of headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO) and an interface, I'm planning on buying some good monitors and want to decide between 5 or 7 inch woofer sizes.
I'm looking at Adam Audio. I can afford the T5V, T7V and A5X (if it's worth it).
Using my headphones and my DAW (Logic), I've made a setup with an EQ low-pass filtering to hear only lows (at 70Hz, 48dB/Oct, Q 0.71), and "modeled" the 3 speakers with an EQ hi-pass filtering to match the low-end of their response curves:
- Specs: 39Hz-25kHz, see curve
- Model: hi-pass at 50Hz, 48dB/Oct, Q 0.60: curve crosses 40Hz at -11db and 50Hz at -3db
- Specs: 45Hz-25kHz, see curve
- Model: hi-pass at 55Hz, 48dB/Oct, Q 0.60: curve crosses 40Hz at -15db and 50Hz at -6db
- Specs: 50Hz-50kHz (50kHz?! xD), no published curve
- Model: hi-pass at 60Hz, 48dB/Oct, Q 0.60: added 5Hz to T5V (less bass)
Tested the 3 with some music and a clip recorded with my bass. I can hear a very slight difference in the low E (41Hz), having the fundamental better represented by the T7V but I guess brains are clever and don't miss it in the other 2 simulations, since it is still there (just lower vol.) and all other harmonics are there "hinting" it's existence.
NOTE: I DO hear much more difference if I remove the "models" filters and allow all the bass to come through. Headphones are good! :)
- I'll be moving kind-of frequently, so will treat the rooms very lightly. Probably some Auralex on 1st reflections and some furniture as bass traps.
- Rooms may be small, neighbours may be complaining (walls are thin in Spain ;p).
- I'm mostly doing rock, acoustics, and other things not bass-intensive. Not much EDM or hiphop.
- My main concern is clarity, and that's why I'm also looking the A5X.
I think I'll be ok with 5's, especially to avoid room problems. For the clinical bass tweaking I can use the Beyers and for spatial imaging, dynamics and all the rest I can use the 5 inch speakers.
Is this a good approach or I really need a 7? Many people thinks it's the absolute minimum woofer size you can have. Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance!