I remember reading about a theoretical electoral system where votes are passed on in a continuously changing graph. I would like to know the name or origin of this system.
This is my approximate recollection of how the described system would work:
- Every eligible citizen starts with 1 vote.
- They can vote at any time and change their vote at any time, not just during elections.
- They can vote for anyone they'd like – e.g a friend or a family member, a traditional politician, a philosopher or ideologist they trust, or maybe just some famous person.
- This other person now has 2 (or more) votes, and they in turn could pass them on to someone else.
- The individuals who have the most votes at any given time are in power.
What is the name of the system, who came up with it, and where can I read more about it?
I have searched and read about alternative voting systems, but have not found a description of one that matches this.