I am looking for records of my family who were in the Islington workhouse and Highgate Hill Infirmary (HHI or St. Mary's) around 1908-1909. I have already found many records including admissions and discharge into the workhouse, hospitals and children's homes plus a settlement exam. However there's a gap in the records on Ancestry just where I need info on the sudden disappearance of my great-grandfather.
I'm looking specifically for HHI records around February-March 1909, but e.g. I can't find the first half of ISBG/278/009 before May. I'm also looking generally for anything up to late 1910 when the remaining family moved to Shoreditch.
These are the London Metropolitan Archives records I'm most interested in:
HIGHGATE HILL INFIRMARY: WEEKLY ADMISSION AND BOARD ORDERS 1908 - 1909 [LMA title] Reference Code: ISBG/278/008 HIGHGATE HILL INFIRMARY: WEEKLY ADMISSION AND BOARD ORDERS 1909 - 1910 [LMA title] Reference Code: ISBG/278/009
I have found parts, but they are "continued from another roll" which I cannot find. I have looked across the various top-level collection which have different parts of the puzzle. (I don't know why Ancestry has split these LMA series up and scattered them between these collections).
In my travels I have found random parts of books under other items, so I have performed the laborious task of checking every single Islington item in in all collections in the image browser and checking it only contains one book (and documenting the mapping). Usually the giveaway is a high image count - e.g. these indexed 250 page books should be about 600 images, so seeing 900 images is suspicious. Some ancestry items have up to three LMA books hidden in them, depending on the length of the microfilm roll. The ancestry title is usually a best guess at the date range, taken from either the LMA intro slides or perhaps a look at the beginning and end which isn't always reliable.
What I've found so far (where "i" is image number, "p" is original page no).
"Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records, 1764-1930" (/londonadmindisch)
Islington; Islington Board of Guardians
"Highgate Hill Infirmary: Weekly Admission and Board Orders, 1910-1911" (902i not indexed)
- i7: "continued from another roll" where!?
- i9: ISBG/278/009(2/2) "HHI Weekly Ad. & Board Orders, 1909-1910"
- → Duplicated under PoorLaw;Misc!
- i12: Starts p150 14 May 1910
- i227: Ends p251, 4.10.10
- i238 = ISBG/278/010 "HHI Weekly Admission & Board Orders, 1910-1911" [LMA title] "Book 8." [cover] "4.10.1910 - 19.8.1911" [flyleaf]
"Highgate Hill Infirmary: Weekly Admission and Board Orders, 1912-1913" (910i)
- group: "ISBG/278/01-23: HHI Weekly admission and board orders"
- i12: (→ something continued.) p41 9.7.1912 - 1913
- (I it's presume ½ of ISBG/278/012 ?)
- i469 = ISBG/278/013 "Book 11". 24.2.1913 - 18.12.1913
- i900: Ends short p140 12.8.13
"Highgate Hill Infirmary: Weekly Admission and Board Orders, 1913-1914" (961i)
- i12: ISBG/278/013 (cont. p140) 12.08.1913
- i265: End p250 17.12.13
- i279 = ISBG/278/014 Book 12 (+ retake request from Gen Soc Utah)
- i950: End p250, 30.10.1914
Then it continues with St. John's Road Workhouse (SJR).
- Contains more workhouse records (SJR, CRW) but no HHI
- Contains some ISBG/283, 272, 271, but no 278's
"Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1930" (/lmapoorlaw)
Islington; Islington; Miscellaneous
"Workhouses and Institutions, 1907-1908" (644i)
- = ISBG/278/007: "HHI Weekly Admissions & Board Orders 1907-1908" "5.10.1907 - 12.10.1908" [fly]
- complete book and contains my family
"Workhouses and Institutions, 1908-1909" (218i)
- = ISBG/278/008: "HHI Weekly Admissions & Board Orders"
- i208 ends p36 25.11.08
- "continued on another roll…" where?!
There is a gap here of Nov 1908 to May 1910. Both 008 and 009 are missing halves.
"Workhouses and Institutions, 1909-1910" (234i)
- = ISBG/278/009 "HHI Admissions & Board Orders 1909 - 1910"
- "...continued from another roll" where?!
- i11: cont. p150 14.5.1910
- i234: Ends p251 4.10.10
→ This same range is duplicated under LondonAdminDisch
"Miscellaneous Workhouses and Institutions, 1910-1911" (668i)
- = ISBG/278/010: "HHI Weekly Admission & Board Orders" (No cover, presume No.8), "4.10.1910 - 19.8.1911" [fly]
- → Duplicated under LondonAdminDisch
"Miscellaneous Workhouses and Institutions, 1910-1911" (668i)
- = ISBG/278/011
- → duplicated under Islington Board of Guardians section.
"Workhouses and Institutions, 1912-1913" (228i)
- = ISBG/278/12(½)
- i219: ends short p41
"Workhouses and Institutions, 1914-1915" (659i)
- = ISBG/278/15 - OK
"Workhouses and Institutions, 1915-1916" (134i)
- = ? Just the index (presumably of 016)
"Workhouses and Institutions, 1916-1918" (408i)
- = ISBG/278/17 - to p130 15/1/17 "cont..." but not.
"Workhouses and Institutions, 1918-1919" (445i)
- = ISBG/278/18 +retake, 11.10.1918-29.10.1919
- ends short p180
Islington; Islington Board of Guardians; A & D
- Lots of CRW, more 270, 271, 272, mostly well organised.
"Highgate Hill Infirmary: 1911-1913" (893i)
- i1 = ISBG/278/011 "20.8.1911 - 16.5.1912"
- → duplicated above under Misc
- i664 = ISBG/278/012 "11.5.1912 - 23.2.1913"
- ends short p41 Jul 12
"Highgate Hill Infirmary: 1914-1916"
- = ISBG/278/15
- cover reads: "St. Mary Islington Infirmary Highgate Hill. Weekly Admissions & Orders Thereon No 13" 10.1914 - 6.1915 [fly]
- i661 = ISBG/278/16(1/2) 6.1915 - 10.1916 (ends 20.8.15)
"Highgate Hill Infirmary: 1915-1918"
- = ISBG/278/16(2/2) (continued p30.)
- i470 = ISBG/278/17 7.1916 - 10.1918 (ends p130 Jan 17)
- interestingly LMA doesn't say this is on Ancestry, but it is...
"Highgate Hill Infirmary: 1916-1918" (915i)
- i1 = ISBG/278/18 "11.10.1918 - 29.10.1919" (retake)
- i490 = ISBG/278/18 "11.10.1918 - 29.10.1919" (dirty version)
It then continues here with SJR, ISBG/281 records, most similarly split up and continuing between the overlapping ancestry items.
I think I thoroughly covered all the Islington records in the four mostly relevant collections:
So I am missing ISBG/278/008 p36-250 and ISBG/278/009 pages 1-149.
I know my family are in these pages, because the original index in 278/008 lists them on p47, p66, p126, p131 - but the images stop at page 36!