I am very new to this so please be patient with me. I had a DNA test via Ancestry which didn't tell me very much and so I uploaded the data to GEDmatch. My top 3 matches are:
- A:11 chr matches, 372.6 cM, longest 62.6 cM
- B:13 chr matches, 381.6, cM, longest 49.6 cM
- C:10 chr matches, 348.9 cM, longest 48.7 cM
Now, I know who these people are. A and C are brother and sister and are my 2nd cousins. B is my father's full cousin, so my 1st cousin once removed. So far so good. We are closely related so would expect good matches.
My 4th best match according to GEDmatch is:
- D:2 chr matches, 51.2 cM, longest 38.8 cM - I don't know who this person is.
So now we come to my question(s):
- Do closer relatives match on more chromosomes or is this irrelevant?
- Do the actual chromosomes that you match on make any difference in interpretation?
- Does the longest matching cM mean anything above 7 cM? e.g. in the example above A and C are both related to me in the same way but the longest cM is quite different.
None of the sources I have read address these questions.