First 3D print made up of diagonal strands



Just got a Creality Ender 3 yesterday. Set it up and ran the dog test print. Photo below.

I used the sample filament that came with the machine. I'm not 100 % what kind it is, but assuming it is 1.75 mm PLA.

No matter what temperature I set the end and bed, when I launched the print, it would change to 200 °C hotend, 45 °C bed. Is that because the two temperatures are set within the gcode file? Do I need to set a higher nozzle temperature? And to do so, will I have to alter the G-code file?

Does the head need cleaned? I did try some blue ABS I bought, and didn't work, so I switched it to the sample filament. There was still some blue ABS in it, but seemed to be gone after a few seconds after the extrusion turned pure white. But might there still be some ABS clogging or slowing the filament?

EDIT: When I ran the test file with ABS, the material didn't adhere to the bed or itself, just created a jumbled bird's nest of spirals. Then I found something online that I needed to use the temperatures on the ABS spool. I set the temperature to 245C nozzle, 100C bed. But as soon as I ran the print, the nozzle went to 200 and the bed 45.

Is the motor that moves the filament moving too slow?

Is the head moving too fast?

Should I use a glass bed?

enter image description here


Posted 2020-04-27T15:36:07.983

Reputation: 41

This is a very common problem lately, it is either related to wrong filament diameter (not in your case as is is a pre-sliced model) or the printer is set to volumetric printing. This can be changed through the display interface. See this answer.

– 0scar – 2020-04-27T22:03:12.713

1When I go to Fillament, I get: E in mm3: On; Fil. Dia. 1.750 – BillBitts – 2020-04-27T23:26:10.053

1E in mm^3 should be off! That will fix your problem! – 0scar – 2020-04-28T10:58:05.877



Based on your comment to the comment of 0scar:

When I go to Fillament, I get: E in mm3: On; Fil. Dia. 1.750

That's almost surely the problem. Unless the model was sliced for "E in mm3", this setting needs to be off. What it does is change how the printer interprets extruder moves in the G-code: rather than in linear mm of filament to move, as volumetric mm³ to extrude.

At 1.75 mm diameter, that's a factor of 2.4 mm³/mm, so you'll only be extruding 1/2.4 = ~41.5 % of the material needed. That extreme underextrusion will give exactly the effect you're seeing.


Posted 2020-04-27T15:36:07.983

Reputation: 5 311

Thanks for answering! That is exactly what I was aiming to find. Lately, the "reasonably priced" Ender 3 printers seem to have caught this issue just out of the box... – 0scar – 2020-04-28T11:03:54.403

sounds like they use a messed up marlin latey... – Trish – 2020-04-28T20:53:31.187