- Toynbee, Arnold (ed), Cities of Destiny, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1967. Pan historical/geographical essays, many images. Starts with "Athens", ends with "The Coming World City-Ecumenopolis".
- Chandler, T. Four Thousand Years of Urban Growth: An Historical Census. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press, 1987.
- Modelski, G. World Cities: –3000 to 2000. Washington, DC: FAROS 2000, 2003.
- League of Women Voters of Vermont. Vermont Citizens' Guide to Government in Vermont, 7th Edition. Rutland, Vermont: Sharp Offset Printing, 2004.
- M. Weber, The City (tr. 1958)
- L. Mumford, The City in History (1961)
- S. Thernstrom and R. Sennett, ed., Nineteenth-Century Cities (1969)
- W. A. Robson and D. E. Regan, ed., Great Cities of the World (3d ed., 2 vol., 1972)
- P. Geddes, City Development (1973)
- W. Rybczynski, City Life: Urban Expectations in a New World (1995)
- A Dynamic Map of the World Cities' Growth
- Largest Cities Through History
- Most populous city of each country
- Best Cities
- Global Culture Essays on cities in the age of globalization
- City Commentary Magazine (Monthly publication on city life and urban issues in America with special features on international cities, United States)
- Inner City Press (Weekly publication on cities, United States)
- Dictionary of the History of ideas: The City
- bifurcaciones.cl, urban cultural studies journal
- The National League of Cities (United States)
- African shack dwellers' organisation
- Evangelizing World Class Cities, contains definitions of a city