Genius + Soul = Jazz
Genius + Soul = Jazz is a 1961 album by Ray Charles featuring big band arrangements by Quincy Jones and Ralph Burns. Charles is accompanied by two groups drawn from members of The Count Basie Band and from the ranks of top New York session players. It was recorded at the Rudy Van Gelder Studio in two sessions on December 26 and 27, 1960 and originally released on the Impulse! label as Impulse! A–2.
|Genius + Soul = Jazz|
|Studio album by Ray Charles|
|Recorded||December 26–27, 1960|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ|
|Ray Charles chronology|
The album was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2011. It was re-issued in the UK, first in 1989 on the Castle Communications "Essential Records" label, and by Rhino Records in 1997 on a single CD together with Charles' 1970 My Kind of Jazz. In 2010, Concord Records released a deluxe edition comprising digitally remastered versions of Genius + Soul = Jazz, My Kind of Jazz, Jazz Number II, and My Kind of Jazz Part 3.
- "From the Heart" (Ray Charles) arr. Quincy Jones – 3:30
- "I've Got News for You" (Roy Alfred) arr. Ralph Burns – 4:28
- "Moanin'" (Bobby Timmons) arr. Quincy Jones – 3:14
- "Let's Go" (Charles) arr. Ralph Burns – 2:39
- "One Mint Julep" (Rudy Toombs) arr. Quincy Jones – 3:02
- "I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town" (Andy Razaf, Casey Bill Weldon) arr. Quincy Jones – 3:38
- "Stompin' Room Only" (Howard Marks) arr. Ralph Burns – 3:35
- "Mister C" (Charles) arr. Ralph Burns – 4:28
- "Strike Up the Band" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) arr. Quincy Jones – 2:35
- "Birth of the Blues" (Ray Henderson, Buddy G. DeSylva, Lew Brown) arr. Ralph Burns – 5:05
- Ray Charles – Hammond B-3 organ and vocals
December 26, 1960 session: Tracks 1, 2, 3, 7, 8 & 9
Clark Terry, Phillip Guilbeau, Thad Jones, Joe Newman, Snooky Young (trumpet) Urbie Green, Henry Coker, Al Grey, Benny Powell (trombone) Marshall Royal, Frank Wess (alto saxophone) Frank Foster, Billy Mitchell (tenor saxophone) Charlie Fowlkes (baritone saxophone) Freddie Green (guitar) Eddie Jones (bass) Sonny Payne (drums)
December 27, 1960 session: Tracks 4, 5, 6 & 10
Clark Terry, Phillip Guilbeau, Jimmy Nottingham, Joe Wilder, John Frosk (trumpet) Jimmy Cleveland, Urbie Green, Keg Johnson, George Matthews (trombone) George Dorsey, Earl Warren (alto saxophone) Budd Johnson, Seldon Powell (tenor saxophone) Haywood Henry (baritone saxophone) Sam Herman (guitar) Joe Benjamin (bass) Roy Haynes (drums)
- C. Michael Bailey, "Ray Charles: Genius + Soul = Jazz", All About Jazz.
- Past Recipients, Grammy Hall of Fame. Archived January 22, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Genius + Soul = Jazz” Album Selected for GRAMMY Music Hall of Fame®", Ray Charles website.
- David Bowling, "Music Review: Ray Charles – Genius + Soul = Jazz (Expanded Edition)", Blogcritics, April 3, 2010.