All I Ever Need Is You (song)
"All I Ever Need Is You" is a popular song written by Jimmy Holiday and Eddie Reeves and recorded by Ray Charles for his 1971 album, Volcanic Action of My Soul. The most well-known version of the song is the hit single by Sonny & Cher which in 1971 reached number seven on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and is their single of greatest longevity, spending 15 weeks on that chart. Their album by the same title sold over 500,000 copies reaching RIAA gold status.
|"All I Ever Need Is You"|
|Single by Sonny & Cher|
|from the album All I Ever Need Is You|
|B-side||"I Got You Babe (live)"|
|Songwriter(s)||Jimmy Holiday, Eddie Reeves|
|Sonny & Cher singles chronology|
"All I Ever Need Is You" by Sonny & Cher also topped the Easy Listening chart for five weeks late in 1971. and was a top-ten single in both the United Kingdom and Canada. It has sold more than 2,250,000 copies world wide.
Two versions made the country music charts: Ray Sanders (#18) in 1971, and Kenny Rogers and Dottie West (#1) in 1979. The Rogers & West recording was included on four albums: Classics (Kenny Rogers and Dottie West album) in 1979 selling over 2,000,000 copies; Duets (Kenny Rogers album) in 1984 selling over 1,000,000 copies; 42 Ultimate Hits (Kenny Rogers album) in 2004 selling over 500,000 copies and 21 Number Ones (Kenny Rogers album) in 2006 selling over 500,000 copies.
“All I Ever Need Is You” was associated with two Grammy Award Nominations: 1972 Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals Sonny & Cher, All I Ever Need Is You; and 1973 “Best Country Instrumental Performance” Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed, Me and Chet (album included “All I Ever Need Is You”). The song was recorded by Tom Jones, Sammi Smith and several others.
Sonny & Cher
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 227.
- "Cash Box 100 Singles chart
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 368. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–1993. Record Research. p. 203.
- Whitburn, Joel (1999). Pop Annual. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. ISBN 0-89820-142-X.
- "Billboard Year-End Charts 1972" (PDF).
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics