Taylor & Francis
|Founder||William Francis and Richard Taylor|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Headquarters location||Milton Park, Abingdon-on-Thames, Oxfordshire United Kingdom|
Bookpoint (Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia)|
self-distributed (the Americas)
|Key people||Annie Callanan (CEO); Jeremy North (MD, Books); Christoph Chesher (Group Sales Director).|
|Publication types||Peer-reviewed books & journals|
|Nonfiction topics||Humanities, Social Science, Behavioural Science, Education, Law, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, Medicine|
|Fiction genres||Non-Fiction. Academic & Scholarly.|
|Imprints||Routledge (Humanities, Social science, Education & Law); Taylor & Francis, CRC Press & Garland Science (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)|
|No. of employees||1,800|
Taylor & Francis Group is an international company originating in England that publishes books and academic journals. It is a division of Informa plc, a United Kingdom-based publisher and conference company.
The company was founded in 1852 when William Francis joined Richard Taylor in his publishing business. Taylor initially founded his company in 1798. Their subjects covered include agriculture, chemistry, education, engineering, geography, law, mathematics, medicine, and social sciences.
In 1965 Taylor & Francis launched Wykeham Publications and began book publishing. In 1988 it acquired Hemisphere Publishing and the company was renamed Taylor & Francis Group to reflect the growing number of imprints. In 1990 Taylor & Francis exited from the printing business to concentrate on publishing. In 1998 Taylor & Francis Group went public on the London Stock Exchange and in the same year the group purchased its academic publishing rival Routledge for £90 million. Acquisitions of other publishers has remained a core part of the group’s business strategy. Taylor & Francis merged with Informa in 2004 to create a new company called T&F Informa, since renamed back to Informa. Following the merger, T&F closed the historic Routledge books office in New Fetter Lane, London and relocated to its current headquarters in Milton Park, Oxfordshire. Taylor & Francis Group is now the academic publishing arm of Informa and accounted for 30.2% of Group Revenue and 38.1% of Adjusted Profit in 2017.
Taylor & Francis publishes more than 2,700 journals, and approximately 7,000 new books each year, with a backlist of over 140,000 titles available in print and digital formats. It uses the Routledge imprint for its publishing in humanities, social sciences, behavioural sciences, law and education and the CRC Press imprint for its publishing in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. In 2017, T&F sold assets from its Garland Science imprint to W. W. Norton & Company and then ceased to use that brand.
Although generally considered the smallest of the 'Big Four' STEM publishers (Reed-Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Springer, and Taylor & Francis), its Routledge imprint is claimed to be the largest global academic publisher within humanities and social sciences. The company's journals have been delivered through the Taylor & Francis Online website since June 2011. Prior to that they were provided through the Informaworld website. Taylor & Francis ebooks are now available via the TaylorFrancis website. Taylor & Francis operates a number of Web services for its digital content including Routledge Handbooks Online, the Routledge Performance Archive, Secret Intelligence Files and Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism. Taylor & Francis offers Open Access publishing options in both its books and journals divisions and through its Cogent Open Access journals imprint. Taylor & Francis is a member of several professional publishing bodies including the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association, the International Association of Scientific, Technical, and Medical Publishers, the Association of Learned & Professional Society Publishers and The Publishers Association. In 2017, after collaborating together for several years, T&F purchased specialist digital resources company Colwiz.
The group has approximately 1,800 employees located in at least 18 offices worldwide. Its head office is based in Milton Park, Abingdon in the United Kingdom, with other offices in Stockholm, Leiden, New York, Boca Raton, Philadelphia, Kentucky, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei, Melbourne, Sydney, Cape Town, Tokyo and New Delhi.
The old Taylor and Francis logo depicts a hand pouring oil into a lit lamp, along with the Latin phrase "alere flammam" - to feed the flame (of knowledge). The modern logo is a stylised oil lamp in a circle.
In 2013-2016, the toxicology journal owned by Taylor & Francis, Critical Reviews in Toxicology, published Monsanto-sponsored ghostwritten articles: Williams et al.(2016),Greim et al.(2015) and Kier & Kirkland (2013). Critical Reviews in Toxicology was accused of being a "broker of junk science" by the Center for Public Integrity. According to Waldman et al., Taylor & Francis was already conducting an investigation into Monsanto’s misconduct with respect to the ghostwritten publications in Critical Reviews in Toxicology in 2017. Editor Roger McClellan is quoted: “These are serious accusations relative to scientific publishing canons and deserve very careful investigation…. I can assure you that Taylor & Francis, as the publisher, and I, as the Scientific Editor of Critical Reviews in Toxicology, will carefully investigate the matter and take appropriate action.” As of 2018, no action has been taken by Taylor & Francis.
In 2017, Taylor & Francis was strongly criticized for getting rid of a public health journal editor-in-chief who accepted articles critical of corporate interests. The company replaced the editor with a corporate consultant without consulting the editorial board.
Acquired companies and discontinued imprints
- A.A.Balkema (acquired in 2003)
- Accelerated Developments Inc. (acquired in 1994)
- Acumen Publishing (acquired in 2014)
- Adam Hilger (acquired in 2005 as part of IOP Publishing books division)
- AK Peters (acquired in 2010)
- The Analytic Press (acquired with Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates in 2006)
- Anderson Publishing (acquired in 2014 from Elsevier)
- Architectural Press
- Arnold (acquired in 2012)
- Ashgate (acquired in July 2015)
- Auerbach Publications
- Baywood Publishing (acquired in 2016)
- Bellwether Publishing (acquired in 2013)
- Bibliomotion (acquired in 2016)
- BIOS Scientific Publishers (acquired in 2003)
- Bloomsbury Journals (acquired in 2015)
- Brunner-Routledge (acquired in 1998)
- Carfax (acquired with Routledge in 1998)
- Cavendish (acquired in 2006)
- CRC Press (acquired in 2003) This imprint is still used.
- Curzon (acquired in 2001)
- David Fulton Press
- Dove Medical Press (acquired in 2017)
- Donhead Publishing (acquired in 2013)
- Earthscan (acquired in 2011)
- Europa Publications (acquired in 1999)
- Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers (acquired in 2002)
- Focal Press (acquired in 2012)
- Frank Cass (acquired in 2003)
- Garland Science (acquired in 1996)
- Gordon & Breach (acquired in 2001)
- Gower (acquired with Ashgate in 2015)
- Greengage Press (acquired in 2013)
- Greenleaf Publishing/GSE Research (acquired in 2017)
- Harwood Academic (acquired with Gordon & Breach in 2001)
- Haworth Press (acquired in 2007)
- Heldref Publications (except World Affairs) (acquired in 2009)
- Hemisphere Publishing (acquired in 1988)
- Hodder Education Group (acquired 2012)
- Holcomb Hathaway (acquired in 2016)
- Karnac Publishing (acquired in 2017)
- Landes Bioscience (acquired in 2014)
- Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates (acquired in 2006)
- Left Coast Press Inc. (acquired in 2016)
- Maney Publishing (acquired in 2015)
- Manson Publishing (acquired in 2014)
- Marcel Dekker (acquired in 2003)
- Martin Dunitz (acquired in 1999)
- M.E. Sharpe, Inc. (acquired in 2014)
- Paradigm Publishers (acquired in 2014)
- Parthenon Publishing (acquired with CRC Press in 2003)
- Pickering & Chatto Publishers (acquired in 2015)
- Planners Press (acquired in 2017 from the American Planning Association)
- Productivity Press (acquired in 2007)
- Psychology Press
- Pyrczak Publishing (acquired in 2016)
- Radcliffe Healthcare (acquired in 2015)
- RFF Press (acquired with Earthscan in 2011)
- Routledge (acquired in 1998) This imprint is still used.
- Scandinavian University Press Journals (acquired in 2000)
- Speechmark Publishing (acquired in 2016)
- Spon Press (acquired with Routledge in 1998)
- St Jerome Publishing (acquired in 2013)
- Swets & Zeitlinger Publishers (acquired in 2003)
- Taylor Graham Journals (acquired in 2003)
- Transaction Publishers (acquired in 2016)
- Westview Press (acquired in 2017)
- Willan Publishing (acquired in 2010)
- Category:Taylor & Francis academic journals
- "Info: Orders - Routledge" (Text). Routledge.com. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Informa Plc Trading Update 26th May 2017" (PDF). Informa. ;
- "Senior Management Team". Informa.
- "Results for 12 Months to 31 December 2017" (PDF).
- "Informa PLC Results for 12 Months to 31 December 2016" (PDF).
- "Informa: About Academic Publishing".
- About Us Archived 2006-11-18 at the Wayback Machine., Taylor & Francis, UK.
- Brock, W.H. & Meadows, A.J. (1998). The Lamp Of Learning: Taylor & Francis And Two Centuries Of Publishing. Taylor & Francis.
- Biographical Index of Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783–2002 (PDF). The Royal Society of Edinburgh. July 2006. ISBN 0 902 198 84 X.
- Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition Archived 2012-05-04 at WebCite - Taylor & Francis.
- "T&F and Informa merge, books unit to move". 2 March 2004.
- "Results for 12 months to 31 December 2017" (PDF). Informa. December 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Taylor & Francis Announces Imprint Changes". 11 March 2005.
- "W.W. Norton & Company Inc. has acquired certain assets of Garland Science from Taylor & Francis Group". Broadwater & Associates. December 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Larivière, Vincent; Haustein, Stefanie; Mongeon, Philippe (2015-06-10). "The Oligopoly of Academic Publishers in the Digital Era". PLOS ONE. 10 (6): e0127502. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0127502. ISSN 1932-6203. PMC 4465327. PMID 26061978.
- "Outsell HSS Market Size Share Forecast" (PDF).
- "Publishing With Us - Routledge". Taylor & Francis Group. 2016.
- "Taylor & Francis Online – FAQs" (PDF). Taylor & Francis Group. 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 May 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- "A world of knowledge and information. Browse our vast collection of over 90,000 eBooks in specialist subjects led by a global network of editors and authors". Taylor & Francis Group. 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Routledge Handbooks Online". www.routledgehandbooks.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- "Home". www.routledgeperformancearchive.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- "Home Page - Secret Intelligence Files". www.secretintelligencefiles.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- "Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism". Routledge. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- "Routledge Books Open Access".
- "Open Access".
- "OASPA Members".
- "STM Members".
- "ALPSP Member Directory".
- "PA Members and Affiliates". The Publishers Association. 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "Academic Digital Research Services start-up colwiz joins Taylor & Francis Group". Taylor & Francis Newsroom. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "T&F buys reference-management tool colwiz". The Bookseller. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "Informa Office Locator: Company = Taylor & Francis".
- Dupuis, John. "Journal of Library Administration editorial board resigns over author rights". ScienceBlogs. ScienceBlogs LLC. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Brokers of junk science?". publicintegrity.org.
- Peter Waldman, Tiffany Stecker, Joel Rosenblatt, “Monsanto Was Its Own Ghostwriter for Some Safety Reviews,” Bloomberg, August 9, 2017.
- McCook, Alison. "Public health journal's editorial board tells publisher they have "grave concerns" over new editor". RetractionWatch. Retrieved 2017-04-28.
- " Swets & Zeitlinger sells Swets & Zeitlinger Publishers", 6 November 2003.
- "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Acumen Publishing to Taylor & Francis".
- "Welcome to the Criminology & Criminal Justice Textbook Catalog".
- "Routledge Architecture".
- "TRILLIUM PARTNERS EXTENDS ITS EDUCATIONAL AND ACADEMIC PUBLISHING M&A SECTOR EXPERIENCE" Archived 2014-02-20 at the Wayback Machine.,
- "Informa Pays £20M for Ashgate Publishing".
- "New Books from Auerbach Publications".
- "Baywood Publishing is now a part of Routledge, an imprint of Taylor and Francis". routledge.com. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- "Bellwether Publishing Journals Join Geography Market Leader Routledge/Taylor & Francis for 2013".
- "Bibliomotion Acquired by Taylor & Francis". Publishers Weekly. 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "Bloomsbury Journals Join Routledge".
- "Quayle Munro advises shareholders of Cavendish Publishing on sale to Informa". Archived from the original on 22 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Expertise Legal Services". Fladgate LLP. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Informa in deal to buy Dove Medical Press".
- "Donhead Publishing".
- "Earthscan acquired by Taylor & Francis".
- Mary H. Munroe (2004). "Taylor & Francis Timeline". The Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition. Archived from the original on October 2014 – via Northern Illinois University.
- "Global Publishing Leaders 2013: Informa". Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Taylor and Francis announce acquisition of Frank Cass & Co", 28 July 2003.
- "Taylor & Francis Group plc acquires Gordon and Breach Publishing Group", 14 February 2001.
- "Routledge Welcomes Ashgate".
- "Bertoli Mitchell advises the shareholders of Greengage Press on sale to Taylor & Francis".
- "Greenleaf Publishing and GSE Research, based at Salts Mills in Saltaire, moving to Oxford after joining Informa Group". Bradford Telegraph & Argus. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "Bertoli Mitchell advises Taylor & Francis on its acquisition of Greenleaf Publishing". Bertoli Mitchell. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "Our History Taylor & Francis".
- "Thomas Webster leaves Hodder Education following sale of HE and Health Sciences lists". September 2, 2012. Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- "Holcomb Hathaway is now part of Routledge, an imprint of Taylor & Francis". routledge.com. Retrieved 2016-02-11.
- "Karnac Publishing transfers to Taylor & Francis". Bertoli Mitchell. September 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Aeon Books re-launches with new imprint". The Bookseller. January 2018. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "Taylor & Francis Group LLC acquires Landes Bioscience". Taylor & Francis. June 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Routledge Welcomes Left Coast Press".
- Joshua Farrington, "T&F buys Manson Publishing", The Bookseller, 10 April 2013.
- "Taylor & Francis acquires Marcel Dekker", 20 November 2003.
- "Routledge Welcomes M. E. Sharpe". Archived from the original on 13 July 2015.
- "Routledge Welcomes Paradigm".
- "Blog - Librarian Resources". Librarian Resources. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Pickering and Chatto to Taylor & Francis". bertolimitchell.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- "Recent Transactions". Broadwater LLC. 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Planners Press Is Now Part of Taylor & Francis Group". American Planning Association. 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Productivity Press: About Us". productivitypress.com. 2016. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- Harry Ransom Center; University of Reading Library. "Firms Out of Business". Retrieved June 8, 2017 – via University of Texas at Austin.
Information about vanished publishing concerns, literary agencies, and similar firms
- "Taylor & Francis Group Acquires Pyrczak Publishing". routledge.com. 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Radcliffe Healthcare to Taylor & Francis".
- "RFF Press".
- "Bertoli Mitchell advises Electric Word in the sale of Speechmark Publishing".
- "Electric Word sells Speechmark Publis to Informa".
- "St Jerome is now part of Routledge Books".
- "Recent Transactions". Broadwater LLC. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "We are delighted to welcome Transaction Publishers into the Taylor & Francis Group". Routledge. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "We are delighted to welcome Westview Publishing into the Taylor & Francis Group".
- "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Willan Publishing to Taylor & Francis".
- "Willan Publishing is Now Routledge".
- Munroe, Mary H. (2007). "Taylor & Francis (Informa Group plc)". The Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition. Northern Illinois University Libraries. Archived from the original on 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- Brock, W.H. & Meadows, A.J. (1998). The Lamp Of Learning: Taylor & Francis And Two Centuries Of Publishing. Taylor & Francis.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taylor & Francis.|