Rock mechanics is a theoretical and applied science of the mechanical behavior of rock and rock masses; compared to geology, it is that branch of mechanics concerned with the response of rock and rock masses to the force fields of their physical environment.
Rock mechanics forms part of the much broader subject of geomechanics, which is concerned with the mechanical responses of all geological materials, including soils. Rock mechanics, as applied in engineering geology, mining, petroleum, and civil engineering practice, is concerned with the application of the principles of engineering mechanics to the design of the rock structures generated by mining, drilling, reservoir production, or civil construction activity such as tunnels, mining shafts, underground excavations, open pit mines, oil and gas wells, road cuts, waste repositories, and other structures built in or of rock. It also includes the design of reinforcement systems, such as rock bolting patterns.
- Engineering geology
- Geotechnical engineering
- Rock mass classification
- Slope stability analysis
- Rock mass plasticity
- SMR classification
Rock mechanics is a theoretical and applied science of the mechanical behavior of rock and rock masses; it is that branch of mechanics concerned with the response of rock and rock masses to the force fields of their physical environment. Rock mechanics is concerned with the application of the principles of engineering mechanics to the design of structures built in or of rock. The structure could include-but not limited to- a drill hole, a mining shaft, a tunnel, a reservoir dam, a repository component, or a building. Rock mechanics is used in many engineering disciplines, but primarily used in Mining, Civil, Geotechnical, Transportation, and Petroleum Engineering.
- Rock Mechanics - an introduction for the practical engineer, July 1966, by Evert Hoek
- Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, ISSN 0723-2632
- International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences
- American Rock Mechanics Association
- Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Open Access
- Jaeger, Cook, and Zimmerman (2008). Fundamentals of Rock Mechanics. Blackwell Publishing. ISBN 9780632057597.
- Brady, B.H.G., Brown, E.T. (1999), Rock Mechanics For Underground Mining, Kluwer Academic Publishers.