Abu al-Saqr Abd al-Aziz Ibn Uthman Ibn Ali al-Qabisi l-Mawsili, generally known as Al-Qabisi, (Latinised as Alchabitius or Alcabitius), and sometimes known as Alchabiz, Abdelazys, Abdilaziz (Arabic: 'Abd al-Azîz, عبدالعزيز القبيصي), (died 967) was an Arab astrologer and mathematician.
Alchabitius lived in Aleppo. He worked for and lived in the palace of Sayf al-Dawla. He died in 967.
Al-Qabisi is best known for his treatise on judicial astrology, Introduction to the Art of Judgments of the Stars. This was dedicated to the Emir of Aleppo, Prince Sayf al-Dawla, and survives in at least twenty-five Arabic manuscripts, and over two hundred manuscripts of its Latin translation, with twelve printed editions of the Latin work between 1473 and 1521.:1 The Arabic text has received at least three Latin translations, which attracted several commentaries and were, in turn, translated into other European languages. In the 12th century it was translated by Johannes Hispalensis. In 1512 it was published by Melchiorre Sessa in Venice. The 1473 copy, and others up until 1521, features writing about Al-Qabisi by John of Saxony.
- Godoy, L. A. (1996). Thin-Walled Structures with Structural Imperfections. Elsevier. ISBN 9780080542966.
- "Introduction to the Art of Judgments of the Stars". World Digital Library. 1512. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- Burnett, Charles; Yamamoto, Keiji; Yano, Michio, eds. (2004). Al-Qabisi (Alcabitius): The Introduction to Astrology. London: The Warburg Institute. p. 2. ISBN 085481132X.
- Lynn Thorndike, A History of Magic and Experimental Science, vol. 3, (New York: Columbia University Press, 1934), pp. 262-3.
- Rashed, R. (2013). The Development of Arabic Mathematics: Between Arithmetic and Algebra. Springer. p. 281. ISBN 978-94-017-3274-1.
- Alchabitius (1512). Hispalensis, Johannes, ed. Alchabitius cum commento noviter impresso (Libellus isagogicus Abdilazi) (in Latin). Melchior Sessa.
- Yamamoto, Keiji (2007). "Qabīṣī: Abū al‐Ṣaqr ʿAbd al‐ʿAzīz ibn ʿUthmān ibn ʿAlī al‐Qabīṣī". In Hockey, Thomas; et al. The Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers. New York: Springer. p. 941. ISBN 978-0-387-31022-0. (PDF version)
- Pingree, David (2008) [1970-80]. "Al-Qabīṣī, Abū Al-Ṣaqr 'Abd Al-'Azīz Ibn 'Uthmān Ibn 'Alī". Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography. Encyclopedia.com.