Zoë (Austrian singer)
- For other singers named Zoë, see Zoe
Zoë in 2016
|Birth name||Zoë Straub|
1 December 1996|
Zoë Straub (German pronunciation: [ˈzoːiː ˈʃtʁaʊp], born 1 December 1996), known professionally as Zoë (German pronunciation: [ˈzoːiː]), stylized as ZOË, is an Austrian singer, songwriter and actress. She represented Austria with the song "Loin d'ici" in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 and placed thirteenth in the grand final.
Life and career
1996–2014: Early life
At the age of six, she featured in a song by her parents' musical project, Papermoon, called "Doop Doop (Baby Remix)". In 2007, Straub participated in the Austrian reality singing competition Kiddy Contest, where she covered "Engel ohne Flügel", originally performed by Mark Medlock, a German singer, while she was attending Lycée Français de Vienne (French High School of Vienna), where she studied for nine years.
2015–present: Career beginnings, Debut and Eurovision Song Contest
Straub appeared on ORF television series Vorstadtweiber in 2015. She also competed in the Austrian national final for the Eurovision Song Contest 2015, where she eventually placed third with the song "Quel filou", written by Straub herself and her father, Christof Straub. She performed live at Rathausplatz while Vienna was serving as the host city of Eurovision Song Contest 2015. In October 2015, she released her début album Debut.
On 12 January 2016, she was announced as one of the participants of the Austrian national final for the Eurovision Song Contest 2016, and on 12 February 2016 she emerged as the winner of the national final and therefore represented Austria in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 with the song "Loin d'ici" in Stockholm, Sweden; qualified for the grand final where she placed 13th in total and 8th in televoting. On 29 April 2016, she released a reissued version of Debut. In Eurovision 2017 she was a member of the Austrian jury for Semi-final 2 and for the Grand Final. In December 2017, it was announced that she would serve as a judge in the Sammarinese national selection event for the Eurovision Song Contest 2018, alongside Neon Hitch and Vince Bugg.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Je m'en fous"||—||—||—|
|"Mon cœur a trop aimé"||12||—||—|
|"La nuit des merveilles"||—||—||—||Non-album single|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or were not released.|
|2015||Vorstadtweiber||Laura||Series 1, episodes 4–8 (4 episodes)|
Awards and nominations
|2016||Amadeus Austrian Music Award||Female Artist of the Year||—||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||"Mon cœur a trop aimé"||Nominated|
- Badzic, Milenko (2 February 2015). "Zoe Straub: Die neue Lolita von Wien startet durch" (in German). Kronen Zeitung. Archived from the original on 7 February 2016. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Steiner, Christoph (21 January 2015). "Zoe Straub: Von den "Vorstadtweibern" zum Song Contest" (in German). Kleine Zeitung. Archived from the original on 7 February 2016. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Krutzler, David (18 May 2015). "Public Viewing: Song Contest spielt's drinnen und draußen" (in German). Der Standard. Archived from the original on 7 February 2016. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Ellend, Nina (22 October 2015). "Zoë Straub: Lolita made in Austria" (in German). Kurier. Archived from the original on 7 February 2016. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Brey, Marco (12 January 2016). "Austria: Nine acts confirmed for national final". Eurovision.tv. European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Luger, Lukas (6 February 2016). "Eine Gewinnerin, auch ohne Songcontest". Oberösterreichische Nachrichten. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Brey, Marco (12 February 2016). "ZOË to represent Austria!". eurovision.tv. European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Zoe: "Leute haben mich nicht im Stich gelassen"" (in German). Salzburger Nachrichten. 16 May 2016. Archived from the original on 17 May 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Leute, Rominas. "Zoë Straub wurde von Amors Pfeil getroffen". Heute. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- "Discography Zoë". Austrian Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discographie Zoë". French Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography Zoë". Swedish Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
with "I am Yours"
| Austria in the Eurovision Song Contest
with "Running on Air"