Zëri i Popullit
Headquarters of Zëri i Popullit in the 1980s.
Party of Labour of Albania (1944–1992),|
Socialist Party of Albania (1992–2015)
|Founded||25 August 1942|
|Political alignment||Historically Marxism-Leninism, now Social democracy|
|Website||Zëri i Popullit|
History and profile
Zëri i Popullit was established on 25 August 1942 and originally edited by Enver Hoxha. It became the official newspaper of Albania and was the news and propaganda organ of the Party of Labour. After 1991 the paper continued to be published as the press organ of the same party that in June 1991 changed its name to Socialist Party of Albania.
At the beginning of the 1990s the circulation of Zëri i Popullit was 20,000 and it was the second best-selling paper in the country. In 2002 the paper had a circulation of 5,167 copies. Its 2005 circulation was 35,000 copies, making it the most read daily in the country. It reached the peak of circulation in 2005, with 35.000 copies.
Zëri i Popullit stopped print publications in November 2015, following a decision by the PS leader Edi Rama. It persists as an online information website. Today Zeri i Popullit is a news website independent from all political parties.
- Miranda Vickers (28 January 2011). The Albanians: A Modern History. I.B.Tauris. p. 147. ISBN 978-0-85771-025-3. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Tenth anniversary of "Zeri i Popullit"". Party of Labor of Albania. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- Dokumenta kryesore të Partisë së Punës të Shqipërisë I. Tiranë: Naim Frashëri. 1971. pp. 94-96.
- Ilda Londo (2002). "Albania" (PDF). Media Institute. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Mimoza Rista-Dema (2006). Inverse-order Constructions in Albanian English: Discourse and Prototype Effects. ProQuest. p. 83. ISBN 978-0-542-84790-5. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Human Rights in Post-communist Albania. Human Rights Watch. 1996. p. 95. ISBN 978-1-56432-160-2. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Albania-The Cost of Speech - Violation of Media Freedom in Albania, Human Rights Watch June 2002. 14 (5) (D), Appendix A
- "Albania". Press Reference. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Gazeta Tema, 13 November 2015
- Mapo, 13 November 2015
- Zëri i Popullit (in Albanian)