Yoshihisa Hirano (baseball)
Hirano with the Orix Buffaloes
|Arizona Diamondbacks – No. 66|
Born: March 8, 1984|
|NPB: March 26, 2006, for the Orix Buffaloes|
|MLB: March 29, 2018, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
|Earned run average||3.10|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 30, 2018)
|Earned run average||2.09|
|Career highlights and awards|
Yoshihisa Hirano (平野 佳寿 Hirano Yoshihisa) (born March 8, 1984) is a Japanese professional baseball pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the Orix Buffaloes of Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB).
Hirano is a right-handed pitcher with a three-quarters delivery. As a reliever, he throws a fastball topping out at mid-90s and a forkball as his primary pitches.
The Buffaloes selected him with the first overall selection in the 2005 NPB draft.
Hirano pitched 12 seasons of professional ball in Japan, playing for the Orix Buffaloes of Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB). He has been a full-time reliever since 2010 and the Buffaloes closer from 2012–2017. In his career, he pitched a total of 156 saves during his time with the Buffaloes.
During the 2017 season, his last before signing with a Major League Baseball team, the right-handed Hirano saved 29 games and pitched to a 2.67 ERA with 47 strikeouts in 57 1/3 innings.
On December 22, 2017, Hirano agreed to a two-year, $6 million contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Hirano played for the Japanese National Team at the 2017 World Baseball Classic. After advancing to the championship round, Japan lost to the United States 2–1 in the semifinal, finishing the tournament in third place. Hirano earned a bronze medal for his performance in the games.
- "Veteran reliever Yoshihisa Hirano embraces mindset of rookie as he moves to Diamondbacks". 26 December 2017 – via Japan Times Online.
- "Yoshihisa Hirano on verge of signing contract with Diamondbacks: source". 22 December 2017 – via Japan Times Online.
- "MLB Hot Stove: D-Backs reportedly agree to sign Japanese reliever Yoshihisa Hirano".
- Gilbert, Steve (December 22, 2017). "Hirano, D-backs reach two-year deal". MLB.com. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- "Japan sets 2017 World Baseball Classic roster". MLB.com.
- "2017 World Baseball Classic USA vs. Japan final score: USA edges Japan to reach final".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yoshihisa Hirano.|