Year Eight is an educational year group in schools in many countries including England, Wales, Australia and New Zealand. It is the eighth or ninth year of compulsory education. It is known as Seventh grade in the United States and Canada, and First Year in Scotland.
In Australia, Year 8 is usually the ninth year of compulsory education. Although there are slight variations between the states, most children in Year 8 are aged from twelve to fourteen.
In New Zealand, Year 8 is the eighth year of compulsory education, and the last of primary education. Children entering Year 8 are generally aged between 11.5 and 13. Year 8 pupils are educated in full primary schools or intermediate schools, and in some areas area schools or combined intermediate and secondary schools.
In schools in England, Year Eight is the eighth year after Reception. It is the eighth full year of compulsory education, with children being admitted whose 12th birthday falls before 1 September in any given academic year. It is also the second year of Key Stage 3 in which the Secondary National Curriculum is taught.
Year 8 is usually the second year of Secondary school (commonly referred to by students as high school after most middle schools were abolished). In some areas of England, Year 8 is the last year group in Middle school or the first year of Secondary School.
In schools in Wales, Year Eight is the eighth year after Reception. It is currently the eighth full year of compulsory education, with children being admitted who are aged 12 before 1 September in any given academic year. It is the second year group in Key Stage 3.
- "Cost/Benefit Analysis Relating to the Implementation of a Common School Starting Age and Associated Nomenclature by 1 January 2010" (PDF). Atelier Learning Solutions Pty Ltd. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- "School years and levels". Team-up website. Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- "Types of schools". Team-up website. Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- "The secondary curriculum". National Curriculum website. Qualifications and Curriculum Authority. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- "What will your child learn?". Welsh Assembly Government. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- "The Education (Northern Ireland) Order 2006". The Stationery Office. 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-11.
| Year Eight