View of the municipal seat of Xoxocotla
Location in Veracruz
Location in Mexico
|Coordinates: 18°38′48″N 97°09′01″W / 18.64667°N 97.15028°WCoordinates: 18°38′48″N 97°09′01″W / 18.64667°N 97.15028°W|
|Established||30 November 1870|
|• President||Magdaleno Juárez Pérez|
|• Total||37.398 km2 (14.439 sq mi)|
|Elevation (of seat)||2,099 m (6,886 ft)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|• Estimate (2015 Intercensal Survey)||5,446|
|• Density||140/km2 (360/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Central (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||Central (UTC-5)|
The municipality of Xoxocotla is located in the Sierra de Zongolica, which are foothills of the Sierra Madre Oriental in central Veracruz. It lies at an altitude between 2,100 and 2,700 metres (6,900–8,900 ft). It borders the Veracruzian municipalities of Soledad Atzompa to the northwest, Atlahuilco to the northeast, and Tlaquilpa to the east, as well as the municipality of Vicente Guerrero in the state of Puebla to the south. The municipality covers an area of 37.398 square kilometres (14.439 sq mi) and comprises 0.05% of the state's area.
The land in Xoxocotla is divided between farmland (50%), forest (44%) and urban areas (6%). Soils in the municipality consist of luvisols (73%) and regosols (21%). The municipality is drained by tributaries of the Blanco River, which itself drains into Alvarado Lagoon at the mouth of the Papaloapan River.
Xoxocotla has a temperate climate with rain in the summer. Average temperatures in the municipality range between 12 and 18 °C (54–64 °F), and average annual precipitation ranges between 100 and 1,100 millimetres (3.9–43.3 in).
The municipal government comprises a president, a councillor (Spanish: síndico), and a trustee (regidor). The current president of the municipality is Magdaleno Juárez Pérez.
In the 2010 Mexican Census, the municipality of Xoxocotla recorded a population of 5163 inhabitants living in 1137 households. The 2015 Intercensal Survey estimated a population of 5446 inhabitants in Xoxocotla, 92.29% of whom reported being of Indigenous ancestry and 37.33% of whom reported being of African ancestry. In the 2010 Census, 1163 people or 23% of the population in Xoxocotla reported speaking an Indigenous language, 1118 of which spoke Nahuatl.
- "Sistema Nacional de Información Municipal" (in Spanish). SEGOB. 2010. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- "Xoxocotla". Enciclopedia de los Municipios y Delegaciones de México (in Spanish). INAFED. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- "Xoxocotla: Datos generales". Cédulas de información municipal (in Spanish). SEDESOL. 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- Panorama sociodemográfico de Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave 2015 (PDF) (in Spanish). INEGI. 2016. p. 226. ISBN 978-607-739-871-4. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- "Consulta Códigos Postales". Catálogo Nacional de Códigos Postales. Mexican Postal Service. 23 February 2018. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- "Compendio de Información Geográfica Municipal 2010: Xoxocotla, Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave" (in Spanish). INEGI. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- Estado de Veracruz-Llave. División Territorial de 1810 a 1995 (PDF) (in Spanish). Mexico: INEGI. 1996. pp. 121, 315. ISBN 970-13-1517-0.
- Huerta, Verónica (14 December 2017). "Aceptan alcaldes de Morena formar parte del Grupo de Coordinación Veracruz" (in Spanish). Formato 7. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- "Resumen municipal: Municipio de Xoxocotla". Catálogo de Localidades (in Spanish). SEDESOL. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- "Cuadernillos municipales, 2016: Xoxocotla" (PDF) (in Spanish). SEFIPLAN Veracruz. p. 6. Retrieved 5 March 2018.