Xi'an Xianyang International Airport
|Xi'an Xianyang International Airport|
|Location||Weicheng District, Xianyang, Shaanxi|
|Elevation AMSL||479 m / 1,572 ft|
|Coordinates||34°26′16.1″N 108°45′23.6″E / 34.437806°N 108.756556°ECoordinates: 34°26′16.1″N 108°45′23.6″E / 34.437806°N 108.756556°E|
CAAC airport chart
Location of airport in China
|Xi'an Xianyang International Airport|
Xi'an Xianyang International Airport (IATA: XIY, ICAO: ZLXY) is the main airport serving Xi'an, the capital of China's Shaanxi Province, as well as the whole Guanzhong area. Covering an area of 5 square kilometres (1.9 sq mi), it is the largest airport in Northwest China, and the second largest airport in Northern China. The airport was the hub for China Northwest Airlines until the company was merged into China Eastern Airlines in 2002. Xi'an Airport is also the hub for Joy Air and a focus city for Hainan Airlines.
In 2015, the airport handled 32,970,215 passengers, making it the busiest airport in northwest China and the 8th busiest nationwide. Xi'an Xianyang International Airport was also the nation's 14th busiest airport in terms of cargo traffic and the 7th busiest airport by traffic movements.
The airport is located within the administrative area of Xianyang city, which gives the airport its name. It is 41 kilometres (25 mi) northwest of Xi'an city centre, and 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) northeast of the centre of Xianyang.
Before Xianyang Airport was built, Xi'an was served by Xi'an Xiguan Airport. In 1984, the State Council of China and the Central Military Commission proposed to build a large civil airport on the site of Xianyang's airfield. Phase 1 of the airport commenced construction on August 1987, and was finished and opened on 1 September 1991. Xi'an Xiguan Airport was closed at the same time. Phase 2 started in August 2000, and was finished on 16 September 2003. Another 7.592-billion-yuan project is scheduled to be completed by 2020.
Terminal 3 and second runway
Terminal 3 and the second runway were opened on 3 May 2012, increasing the airport's capacity to more than 33 million passengers a year. The new terminal alone can handle 22 million passengers a year, twice as many as the other two terminals combined. Airlines that moved into the new terminal are China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, and Shanghai Airlines. The second runway is 3,800 meters long and is large enough to handle the Airbus A380.
Airlines and destinations
Eight airport bus routes connect the airport well with the Xi'an and Xianyang city.
A rail link between Xi'an North Railway Station and the airport is under construction and is expected to open in 2018.
Accidents and incidents
- "陕西年鉴1992" [Shaanxi Yearbook 1992]. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014.
- "Xian Airport opens new terminal building with strong focus on retail growth". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "阿勒泰机场将开通首条疆外直飞航线_民航新闻_民航资源网". news.carnoc.com.
- 网易. "出行又添新选择 东航云南3月底将新开11条航线". news.163.com.
- "东航将新开西安—南宁—海口航线 - 东航新闻 - 中国东方航空公司". www.ceair.com.
- "图片 东航开通上海日喀则航线 助力西藏联通世界_民航新闻_民航资源网". news.carnoc.com.
- Liu, Jim (13 April 2018). "China Eastern adds Xi'An – St. Petersburg from May 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "珠海机场月底进入冬春航季 新增6个航点_民航新闻_民航资源网". news.carnoc.com.
- "Indonesia's state-run airlines to open more direct flights to China's cities from Bali - Xinhua - English.news.cn". www.xinhuanet.com.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Lion Air adds Xi'An scheduled charters from Aug 2016".
- "Loong Airlines adds Xi'An – Cam Ranh route from Nov 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "Mactan airport opens door to new international flights". Retrieved 19 Oct 2017.
- "Okay Airways expands Phuket service in March 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "NokScoot adds Xi'An service from Nov 2017".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 December 2016. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- "SCAT запускает рейс в китайский Сиань". Tengrinews. 12 February 2016. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- NEW ROUTE! to China : Fly directly from Phuket to Xi'an
- "Thai Lion Air adds new scheduled charter service to China from late-Sep 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Tianjin Airlines to launch Xi'An – London Heathrow service from May 2018". routesonline. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Tibet Airlines adds international routes from Xi'An from late-Aug 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Xi'an Xianyang International Airport.|