World Table Tennis Championships
|World Table Tennis Championships|
|Genre||Global sports event|
The World Table Tennis Championships have been held since 1926, biennially since 1957. Five individual events, which include men's singles, women's singles, men's doubles, women's double and mixed doubles, are currently held in odd numbered years. The World Team Table Tennis Championships, which include men's team and women's team events, were first their own competition in 2000. The Team Championships are held in even numbered years.
In the earlier days of the tournament, Hungary's men's team was a dominant force, winning the championships 12 times. This was followed by a short period of dominance by Japan in the 1950s. From the 1960s onwards, China emerged as the new dominant power in this tournament and, with the exception of 1989-2000, when Sweden won four times, China continues to dominate the sport. China's men's team holds a record 20 world team championship titles.
In the 1950s, Japan's women team was a force to be reckoned with winning a total of 8 titles. The Chinese women started their strong grip on the world team championships from the 1970s onwards. They have only lost twice since 1975. China holds 21 women's team titles.
- Singles competition:
- Geist Prize for Women's Singles, donated in 1931 by Dr. Gaspar Geist, President of the Hungarian Table Tennis Association
- Doubles competition:
- Iran Cup for Men's Doubles; first presented at the 1947 World Championships by the Shah of Iran
- W.J. Pope Trophy for Women's Doubles; donated in 1948 by the ITTF Honorary General Secretary W.J. Pope
- Heydusek Cup for Mixed Doubles; donated in 1948 by Zdenek Heydusek, Secretary of the Czechoslovakia Association.
- Team competition:
- Swaythling Cup for Men's Team, donated in 1926 by Lady Baroness Swaythling, mother of the first ITTF President, Ivor Montagu
- Corbillon Cup for Women's Team, donated in 1933 by Marcel Corbillon, President of the French Table Tennis Association
ITTF held individual events and team events for the first time in 1999 and 2000 respectively. And after in 2001 was the last time individual and team events were held. It has begun in 2003 the world championships split apart into individual events and team events.
|Individual and Team||Individual||Team|
- As of 2018:
Results of Individual Events
Results of Team Events
- "The World Championship Trophies- A Retrospective". ittf.com. ITTF. Retrieved 2010-06-22.