|Headquarters||Williston, North Dakota|
The Williston Herald is a 6-day-per-week newspaper printed in Williston, North Dakota. The Herald is the official newspaper of Williams County, North Dakota and the main newspaper covering northwestern North Dakota and northeastern Montana. The newspaper is printed every day but Saturday.
The Williston Herald also the home of the Plains Reporter, which is the weekly publication distributed throughout northwestern North Dakota and northeastern Montana.
The Herald employs approximately 40 employees. In addition, the Herald employs more than 60 carriers and motor route drivers.
- 1899: A group of citizens wanting to express their views on a local political controversy raised $600 to begin the new newspaper. The newspaper begins in a one-room shack on Second Street West with E.M. Crary at the helm. However, in less than a month the Herald was on its third publisher.
- Oct. 14, 1930: The first daily paper was published on a single sheet printed on both sides.
- 1935: The newspaper went to standard size.
- 1938: Wire services were added to the daily paper.
- 1942: The Williston Herald moves to its present location.
- August 1961: Walter Wick becomes publisher and totally transforms the physical plant.
- March 13, 1967: Switch from hot lead to offset printing provides a noticeable improvement in reproduction.
- 1979: The weekly Williston Basin Oil Reporter begins publishing.
- 1987: Wick Communications purchases the weekly Williston Plains Reporter from Bill Shemorry.
- 1996: The Herald installs a pagination system with full color capabilities.
- 2014: Randy Rickman becomes publisher in November.
- 2015: The Herald converts to a morning paper on 8/1/15, eliminating the Monday edition and introducing a Saturday edition.
- 2015: Randy Rickman leaves in December.
- Publisher: Ken Harty
- Editor: Jamie Kelly
- Customer Service Manager: Leah-Ann Kleber
- Production Manager: Aaron Hanson
- Business Manager: Britney Klein
20 under 40
In 2018, the Williston Herald recognized 20 young professionals in a new awards series called 20 under 40. The publication selected honorees from reader nominations, saying that they aimed to curate a list of "young professionals who went above and beyond in their efforts to make the community better."
- "Meet the Staff". Williston Herald. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- "Herald announces first crop of 20 Under 40 honorees". Williston Herald. February 17, 2018.