War Damage Commission

The War Damage Commission was a body set up by the British Government under the War Damage Act 1941 to pay compensation for war damage to land and buildings throughout the United Kingdom. It was not responsible for the repairs themselves, which were carried out by local authorities or private contractors.[1]

The Commission was chaired by Malcolm Trustram Eve, then by Sir Thomas Williams Phillips (19491959). It was headquartered at Devonshire House, Mayfair Place, Piccadilly, London, and operated out of sixteen Regional Offices:

References

  1. War Damage Commission. A Short Explanatory Pamphlet on Claims under the War Damage Act 1941, 1941.
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.