Virtual University of Pakistan
جامعہ مجازی پاکستان
|Motto||World Class Education at Your Doorstep|
|Chancellor||President of Pakistan|
|Rector||Dr. Naveed A. Malik|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
Higher Education Commission of Pakistan |
Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication
Virtual University of Pakistan (Urdu: جامعہ مجازی پاکستان), also known as VU, is a public university located in the urban area of Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. Virtual University is Pakistan’s first university based completely on modern Information and Communication Technologies.
Established in 2002 by the Government of Pakistan to promote distance education in modern information and communication technologies as its primary objectives, the university is noted for its online lectures and broadcasting rigorous programs regardless of their students' physical locations. The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate courses in business administration, economics, computer science and information technology. Due to its heavy reliance on serving lectures through the internet, Pakistani students residing overseas in several other countries of the region are also enrolled in the university's programs.
Virtual University is a public sector university and gets a federal recognition from the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
===Bachelor of Science programs=== (4 YEARS PROGRAM)
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Business Administration
- Public Administration
- Business and Information Technology (BBIT)
- Mass Communication
- Commerce (Bachelor of Commerce)
- Accounting and Finance
- Banking and Finance
- Education B.Ed.(Hons.) Elementary
- BS Mathematics
- Master of Science in Mathematics
- MCS Master of Computer Science
- MIT Master of Information Technology
- MBA Master of Business Administration
- Msc Applied Psychology
- Master of Science in Bioinformatics (MSBI)
- Master of Computer Science (MCS)
- Master of Information Technology (MIT)
- Master of Commerce (M.Com)
- Master of Business Studies (MBS - Leading to MBA/MSBA)
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Master of Business Economics (MB.Econ)
- Master of Accounting
- Master of Finance
- Master of Accounting & Finance
- Master of Banking & Finance
- Master in Human Resources Management
- Masters in Operation and Supply Chain Management
- Master of Science in Zoology
- PhD Computer Science
- PhD Biotechnology
===Bachelor programs=== (2 YEAR PROGRAMS)
- bachelor of Arts (B.A)
- B.A (Mass Communication)
- B.A (Psychology)
- Bsc Computer Science
- B.com (Bachelor of Commerce)
- BA (Business Administration) *
Virtual University was founded in 2002 since which it has expanded operations to reach more than one hundred cities throughout the country with more than 160 associated institutions providing infrastructure support to students. In addition, Pakistani students residing in several other countries in the region are also enrolled in the University's programs.
Virtual University has two types of campuses, its own and those that are run by other organizations with modern computer lab and Internet access facilities.
VU is one of two Pakistani universities which provide distance learning. The first one is Allama Iqbal Open University and second is Virtual University. The students can get lectures without going to the campuses of VU. VU lectures can be seen on VU's cable channels (VTV1, VTV2, VTV3 & VTV4) on daily motion and YouTube.
Milestones and achievements
- VU feasibility study final feasibility. December 8, 2001
- President of Pakistan inaugurated the Virtual University of Pakistan. March 23, 2002
- First batch of 500 students starts classes. March 26, 2002
- Federal Charter granted by Government of Pakistan. September 1, 2002
- VU start broadcasts over its own TV channels VTV1 and VTV2. June 15, 2004
- VU selected as coordinating institute of multi-country IDRC funded project. March 1, 2005
- VU puts is lectures on YouTube November, 2005
- Launch of MCS, MIT and MBA programs. March 6, 2006
- Launch of two new TV channels VTV3, & VTV4. September 26, 2006
- VU becomes an Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) member. November 7, 2006
- VU agreement with Ujala TV Dubai to telecast VU programs. November 30, 2006.
- VU agreement with University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences to offer joint BS Bio-informatics program. May 25, 2007
- Launch of MS program in Computer Science. Fall 2007
- Launch of B.A., B.Com., B.Sc. (2-year programs). Fall 2009"
- VU launch its in-house developed LMS (Learning Management System)and other MIS(s) by IT Department. Spring 2009
- Virtual University of Pakistan held its first Convocation on Tuesday 18 May 2010 simultaneously at Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Jamshoro, Karachi and Quetta.
- Virtual University of Pakistan holds Highest Category 'W' By HEC.
- HEC on May 28, 2013 has clarified the ambiguity created by some newspapers amongst VU students and general public. HEC has, therefore, reconfirmed the status of the University as on-line & distance education institution of the country.
- VU. "Address and map location of Virtual University". Google Inc. Google Inc. Lahore. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- VU. "About VU". VU Press release. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Distant Learning". Virtual University. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "vu". YouTube.