|Launched||September 6, 2006|
|Owned by||SomosTV, LLC|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Formerly called||VeneMovies (2006–11)|
|AT&T U-verse||3132 (SD)|
|Verizon FiOS||1682 (SD)|
ViendoMovies is an American Pay TV television channel distributed by cable, Telcos and satellite companies, owned by SomosTV and headed by Luis Villanueva. The channel runs for 24-hours a day featuring exclusive, commercial free movies, originally produced in Spanish, all theatrical releases in their country of origin. Its target audience are U.S. Hispanics living in the U.S. and Puerto Rico with interests in either Spanish language movies or independent/foreign films. ViendoMovies programming reaches millions of subscribers in the United States and Puerto Rico.
In 2006 SomosTV, a media company based in Miami, Fl announced the launch of ViendoMovies then under the name VeneMovies. At the time of launch, the channel was considered one of the first 24-hour Hispanic cable movie channels in the United States. ViendoMovies was created based on the Hispanic market's need for Spanish language quality films. U.S. Hispanics are aggressive consumers of film entertainment. According to Hispanics Business Magazine, Hispanics eagerly attend film openings, accounting for over 17% of tickets sold and watch more movies (DVDs, Blu-ray, and Digital Streaming) per year than any other segment of the U.S. population. On July 4, 2011, VeneMovies was renamed ViendoMovies.
ViendoMovies is currently distributed by all the major cable companies including Comcast, Time Warner, CenturyLink, Cablevision, DirectTV, Charter Communications, RCN, Verizon, FIOS, AT&T U-Verse, and Liberty Cablevision (both in Puerto Rico), Innovative Cable U.S. Virgin Islands and other cable companies. The channel continues to expand its presence in the U.S. and in 2014 announced National Satellite Distribution.
According to PRNewsWire, ViendoMovies offers a selection of award-winning movies from Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, among others. The channel includes popular genres such as action, drama, comedies, romance, etc. and include a free VOD (Video on Demand) offering for its subscribers, plus coverage of national and international film festivals where Spanish language movies participate.
ViendoMovies is affiliated as well to NCTC (National Cable Television Cooperative) for cable operators. NCTC is responsible for acquiring programming and hardware for almost 1000 affiliated companies that own and operate cable systems in the U.S.
- Press Room (September 2006). "Cisneros Group's Venevision International Launches on Comcast "VeneMovies" : America's First Full-Featured U.S.-Hispanic Cable Movie Channel". Comcast. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Cisneros Group's Venevision International Launches on Comcast 'VeneMovies': America's First Full-Featured U.S.-Hispanic Cable Movie Channel". Hispanic PR Wire. Hispanic Business Magazine. September 2011. Archived from the original on 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- Angelique Flores (June 2011). "VeneMovies to Change Its Name to ViendoMovies". Home Media Magazine. Archived from the original on 2012-03-29. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- Lisa Barder (March 2010). "VeneMovies & Semillitas, Two New 24-Hour Spanish Language Channels, Added to RCN's Hispanic Cable TV Program Packages". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- Giselle Trainor (May 2010). "Time Warner Cable Launches VeneMovies, a 24 Hour Movie Channel with Contemporary Movies in Spanish on San Diego and Desert Cities Channel Lineup". PR Newswire. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- nota=eng%2FTV+Paga%2FSe%F1ales%2F2011%2F03%5Fmarzo%2F29%5FSOMOSTV%5FVeneMovies%5FSemillitas%5FEEUU "SomosTV's VeneMovies, Semillitas Broadens Their Distribution Scope" Check
|url=value (help). TTV Media News. March 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "SOMOSTV Signs for Broad Distribution of Semillitas and VeneMovies in the US". TTV Media News. 2010. Retrieved 2011-09-20.