|Born||on 14thJanuary 1925|
Dr. Venkataraman Krishnamurthy is an Indian civil servant born in Tamilnadu. He is the doyen of Indian management, having headed the country’s largest and most challenging public sector companies. He was Chairman and CEO of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Maruti Udyog Limited and Steel Authority of India Limited. He has been Chairman of IIM Bangalore and Ahmedabad; IIT Delhi; Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar; and the Centre for Organization Development, Hyderabad. He has also been Chairman of the Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council. He was Member of the National Advisory Council from 2004-08. Among other positions, he has served as Member, Planning Commission, and Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Industry. He was the Chairman of the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council, holding the rank of a Cabinet Minister up to 2014. 
V Krishnamurthy was born on 14th January 1925 in a Brahmin family. His initial V stands for his father’s name Venkataraman. He had two brothers –10 year older brother Subamanian and 2 year older brother Vaidyanathan. He married Rajam. He has two sons Jayakar and Chandra.
When he was born his grandfather was wealthy in his village Karuveli, in Thanjavur region. In 1930 due to floods in his village his family lost all the lands. They sold their house and left the village. He went with his mother to live with his uncle. His father went to Chennai to do business. He lost his mother when he was 11 years old. Because of their poor financial condition his brothers had to discontinue education and go for employment. His eldest brother joined Southern Railways and another brother joined Kalki magazine as circulation manager.
Education: He did 3 yrs diploma in electrical engineering from CNT technical Institute in 1943. He passed competitive examination conducted by Union public services commission and joined Central Engineering Services in 1955. He holds a Doctorate in Economics from the Soviet Academy of Sciences.
He was a member of National Advisory Council during its first tenure.
Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Industry (1977–1980) .
Member, Planning commission of India (1991–1992). .
Chairman &CEO Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)(1972–1977). .
Founder Chairman &CEO Maruti Udyog Limited (1981–1990).
Chairman &CEO Steel Authority of India Limited(SAIL) (1985–1990).
Academic and professional associations
Chancellor, Indian Maritime University (At Present).
Chancellor, Central University of Tamil Nadu (At Present).
Chairman, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore(1982–1984).
Chairman, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad(1985–1990).
Chairman, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi(1990–1993).
Chairman, Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar (1987–1992).
Bharathidasan Institute of Management
In August 1984 Krishnamurthy met with Bharat Ratna, Chidambaram Subramaniam and Professor P. S. Manisundaram, Vice-Chancellor of Bharathidasan University, to develop the idea of establishing a management institute within the grounds of an industrial company. A partnership was signed with Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, leading to the formation of the Bharathidasan Institute of Management.
He is the recipient of " The Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun" in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the promotion of bilateral economic relations and understanding of Japan in India.H.M. The Emperor of Japan Bestowed the Order on 3 November 2009.
He was conferred the Special Nakajima Award By JIPM in the year 2007 for his efforts to promote Total Productive Management (TPM) Initiative in India...
- "NAC I: The knocks, and the nicks". indianexpress.com.
- "The Hindu Business Line : V. Krishnamurthy is Chairman of manufacturing panel". thehindubusinessline.in.
- "The Hindu : National : NAC reconstituted". hindu.com.
- ” http://www.goodgov.in/content/2010/jun/03/pm-urges-industry-to-contribute-in-skill-development/
- ” http://www.financialexpress.com/news/pm-sets-up-panel-to-coordinate-trade-ties/131225/0
- ” https://books.google.com/books?id=Cn3wjsJiuvgC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=Member,+PM%E2%80%99s++energy+coordination+committee+v+krishnamurthy&source=bl&ots=TzuKTbwixA&sig=h8ZFba3c_ZLdkIg6k_Mc-_oeum4&hl=en&ei=C9laTO_qEcHcnAeGkrHcAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false
- ” http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=18826
- ” http://nmcc.nic.in/chairmanProfile.aspx
- ” http://www.vikalpa.com/pdf/articles/1989/1989_july_sep_57_67.pdf
- ” http://dspace.vidyanidhi.org.in:8080/dspace/bitstream/2009/3924/9/OSM-1997-043-9.pdf
- " http://www.dnis.org/news.php?issue_id=11&volume_id=6&news_id=954&i=8
- " http://www.imu.edu.in
- ” http://www.sailhrawards.com/sail/jury.htm
- ” http://www.asci.org.in/courtofgover.asp
- "Media Room". bim.edu.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-07. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- +Arun Prabhudesai. "Top 25 Business Schools In India Of 2015 [Updated List]". Trak.in - Indian Business of Tech, Mobile & Startups.
- "http://www.in.emb-japan.go.jp/Press_Releases_Embassy%5CPR09-2009.html Archived 2011-12-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- ” http://www.qcin.org/nbqp/qualityindia/Vol-1-No5/profile.htm
- ” http://www.aima-ind.org/ne_AwardsAchievement.aspx
28.https://harpercollins.co.in/author-details/v-krishnamurthy/ 29.Book by V. Krishnamurthy : At the helm. A Memoir