Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman
|Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman|
17 December 1935|
Umayalpuram, Tanjore, Madras Presidency, British India
Umayalpuram Kasiviswanatha Sivaraman (born 17 December 1935) is a Carnatic mridanga vidwan. He was awarded the Madras Music Academy's Sangeetha Kalanidhi in 2001. He is the son of Sri P. Kasiviswanatha Iyer and Srimati Kamalambal. His father was a medical doctor by profession but encouraged his musical pursuits.
He learned the art of the carnatic mridangam from four illustrious masters of the art - Sri Arupathi Natesa Iyer, Sri Tanjavoor Vaidyanatha Iyer, Sri Palghat Mani Iyer & Sri Kumbakonam Rangu Iyengar. The pursuit of this art under the gurukula system for well over fifteen years did not deter him to qualify for law, and he graduated from The University of Madras with a B.A. & B.L..
He has accompanied several top ranking Carnatic & Hindustani musicians in their concerts, such as Sri Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Sri Musiri Subramania Iyer, Sri Palladam Sanjeeva Rao, Sri Mysore Chowdiah, Sri Rajamanickam Pillai, Sri Papa Venkataramiah, Sri Dwaram Venkataswami Naidu, Sri Mudikondan Venkatarama Iyer, Sri G. N. Balasubramaniam, Sri Madurai Mani Iyer, Sri Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Sri Alathur Brothers, Sri Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar, Dr Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, Dr M. Balamuralikrishna, Sri Nedunuri Krishnamurthi, Sri Voleti Venkateswarulu, Sri S. Balachander, Sri T.R. Mahalingam, etc. He has to his credit several jugalbandhi concerts with the top artistes of Hindustani music like Pt. Ravishankar, Sri Hariprasad Chaurasia, Pt. Ram Narain and top tabla artistes like Pt. Kishen Maharaj, Pt. Samta Prasad, Ustad Allah Rakha, Mr. Zakhir Hussain and others. He has trained many students in the art of mridangam and continues training more disciples.
He was conferred the award ‘Padmashri’ by the Government of India in 1988. He received Sangeet Natak Akademi award for mrudangam for the year 1992. He was conferred Kalaimamani, awarded by the Iyal Isai Nataka Mandram of Tamilnadu. He had been appointed ‘State Artiste’ of the Government of Tamil Nadu from 1981 for a period of six years. His Holiness Sri Sankaracharya Swamigal has appointed Sri Sivaraman as ‘Asthana Vidwan’ of Shri Kanchi Sankara Mutt. His Holiness Shri Sankaracharya Swamigal of Shri Sharada Peetam Sringeri has bestowed on Sivaraman the title of Mrudanga Kalanidhi and has appointed him as ‘Asthana Vidwan’ of Shri Sarada Peetam, Sringeri. His titles include Laya Jyothi, Laya Gnana Bhaskara, Sangeetha Kala Sikhamani, Mrudanga Nadamani (bestowed by His Holiness Shri Sankaracharya of Kanchi Mutt), Mrudanga Chakravarthi, Nada Sudharnava, Tal Vilas, and Laya Gnana Tilaka, etc.
He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honor, on the occasion of the country's 61st Republic Day observance on 26 January 2010 and received an honorary doctorate from the University of Kerala in 2010.
- Sangeetha Kalasikhamani from The Indian Fine Arts Society in 1984
- Padma Shri from Government of India in 1988
- Kalaimamani from Government of Tamil Nadu in 1992
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1992
- Sangeetha Kalanidhi from Madras Music Academy in 2001
- Padma Bhushan from Government of India in 2003
- Padma Vibhushan from Government of India in 2010
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship, 2011
- "This Year's Padma Awards announced" (Press release). Ministry of Home Affairs. 25 January 2010. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
- "Honorary Doctorate for Adoor, Mammootty and Umayalpuram". Archived from the original on 2010-02-12.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Umayalapuram K. Sivaraman's Homepage at the Wayback Machine (archived October 27, 2009)
- Interview with Sri Sivaraman after the Sangeetha Kalanidhi award
- Carnatic corner - short biography