U.C. Sampdoria in European football
|First entry||1962–63 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup|
|Latest entry||2015–16 UEFA Europa League|
|Cup Winners' Cup|
This victory came during the greatest period of success in the history of the club, largely under coach Vujadin Boškov and featuring players such as Pagliuca, Mancini, Vialli, Vierchowod and Lombardo. In the 1988–89 Cup Winners' Cup they had finished runners-up to FC Barcelona in the Bern final, but in the same season won the Coppa Italia (one of four domestic cup wins from six finals in nine years), allowing another opportunity to compete for the European prize, which they duly achieved the following year. In the 1994–95 edition of the same tournament, Samp reached the semi-final before being eliminated on penalties by Arsenal.
In addition, Sampdoria won their only Serie A national title in 1991, and in the subsequent European Cup campaign they went all the way to the final in London, again facing Barcelona and losing by a single goal late in extra time. It was the last year before that competition became known as the Champions League, although its format did involve a group stage.
Since the mid-1990s, the club's European involvement has been less frequent and less prominent, although they have participated in the group stages of the UEFA Cup / Europa League on three occasions in the early 21st century (failing to progress each time).
UEFA-organised seasonal competitions
Sampdoria's score listed first.
European Cup/Champions League
|Final||0–1 (a.e.t.) (N)|
|2010–11||Play-off round||3–2 (a.e.t.)||1–3||4–5|
European Cup Winners' Cup/UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
|Final||2–0 (a.e.t.) (N)|
|Quarter-finals||0–1||1–0||1–1, 5–3 (p)|
|Semi-finals||3–2||2–3||5–5, 2–3 (p)|
UEFA Cup/Europa League
|2007–08||Second qualifying round||1–1||1–0||2–1|
|First round||2–2||0–0||2–2 (a)|
|Round of 32||0–1||0–2||0–2|
|2015–16||Third qualifying round||0–4||2–0||2–4|
UEFA Intertoto Cup
European Super Cup
UEFA-non organised seasonal competitions
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
UEFA Competitions record
- Accurate as of 27 August 2017
|European Cup / Champions League||13||7||2||4||25||14||+11||53.85|
|Cup Winners' Cup||36||19||7||10||54||33||+21||52.78|
|UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League||28||9||9||10||29||30||−1||32.14|
|UEFA Super Cup||2||0||1||1||1||3||−2||0.00|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup||8||6||0||2||10||4||+6||75.00|
Pld = Matches played; W = Matches won; D = Matches drawn; L = Matches lost; GF = Goals for; GA = Goals against; GD = Goal Difference.
- uefa.com. "Sampdoria – UEFA.com". Uefa.com.
- "UEFA Champions League 1991–92". UEFA. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "UEFA Champions League 2010–11". UEFA. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "European Competitions 1985–86". RSSSF. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "European Competitions 1988–89". RSSSF. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "European Competitions 1989–90". RSSSF. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "European Competitions 1990–91". RSSSF. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "European Competitions 1994–95". RSSSF. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "UEFA Europa League 1997–98". UEFA. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "UEFA Europa League 2005–06". UEFA. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "UEFA Europa League 2007–08". UEFA. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "UEFA Europa League 2008–09". UEFA. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "UEFA Europa League 2010–11". UEFA. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "UEFA Europa League 2015–16". UEFA. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "UEFA Intertoto Cup 1998". RSSSF. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- "UEFA Intertoto Cup 2007". RSSSF. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "Super Cup 1990". RSSSF. Retrieved 27 August 2017.