Type 002 aircraft carrier
|Preceded by:||Type 001A aircraft carrier|
|Succeeded by:||Type 003 aircraft carrier|
|Propulsion:||conventional with integrated electric propulsion|
|Aviation facilities:||Hangar deck|
The Type 002 aircraft carrier is a second generation Chinese aircraft carrier design. The Type 002 will be the first Chinese carrier that feature an integrated electric propulsion system. This will allow the operation of electromagnetic launch catapults similar to the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) used by the United States Navy.
Rear Admiral Yin Zhuo of the People's Liberation Army Navy said in 2013 that China's next aircraft carrier would be equipped with an electromagnetic aircraft launch system. Multiple prototypes were spotted by media in 2012, and aircraft capable of electromagnetic launching were tested in Chinese Navy research facilities.
Construction of the carrier began in the mid-2010s, although the precise date is unknown. The National Interest reported that construction began in March 2015, while The Diplomat said that "initial work" had begun in February 2016, followed by a notice to proceed given to the Shanghai Jiangnan Shipyard Group in March 2017.
According to report in July 2017, the construction of Type 002 aircraft carrier had been delayed while the Navy tested electromagnetic and steam-powered catapult systems. In November 2017, it was reported that the Navy had developed a new means of powering electromagnetic catapults with conventional power sources instead of nuclear reactors, and further work on the Type 002 was due to begin imminently.
The ship is expected to be launched in 2020 and enter active service in 2023. It is estimated to have an aircraft capacity of about 40 jet fighters, such as the Shenyang J-15, and several propeller powered transport and AEWC aircraft.
- "China building third aircraft carrier, says report". Jane's 360.
- "China Reveals Launch Date of New Aircraft Carriers". Sputnik International. 13 February 2017.
- Minnie Chan (1 November 2017). "Breakthrough to power most advanced jet launch system on China's second home-grown aircraft carrier". South China Morning Post.
- "Chinese aircraft carrier should narrow the gap with its U.S. counterpart". english.peopledaily.com.cn. People's Daily. 18 October 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "实验室中的中国电磁弹射器!高清图震撼人心! - 海军论坛 - 铁血社区". Bbs.tiexue.net. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- "简氏:中国试飞改进型歼-15 或用于测试电磁弹射器_《参考消息》官方网站". Cankaoxiaoxi.com. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- "China's Next Aircraft Carrier: Everything We Know (So Far)". The National Interest. 31 March 2017. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "China Kicks Off Construction of New Supercarrier". The Diplomat. 5 January 2018. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "China Explores Electromagnetic Carrier Launch System". AIN online. 6 July 2017.
- "Breakthrough to power most advanced jet launch system on China's second home-grown aircraft carrier". SCMP. 1 November 2017.
- "China's New Aircraft Carrier to Use Advanced Jet Launch System". The Diplomat. 1 November 2017.
- "China claims to have developed conventionally powered electromagnetic catapult". Jane's 360. 2 November 2017.
- "China's Next Aircraft Carrier Will Be a Massive Leap Forward". Popular Mechanics. 19 January 2018. Retrieved 29 April 2018.