Location within Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Diocese||Eparchy of Zahumlje and Herzegovina|
Trebinje, Republika Srpska|
Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Coordinates||42°43′07″N 18°17′48″E / 42.7186°N 18.2967°ECoordinates: 42°43′07″N 18°17′48″E / 42.7186°N 18.2967°E|
Tvrdoš Monastery (Serbian Cyrillic: Тврдош) is a 15th-century Serbian Orthodox monastery near the city of Trebinje, Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina. The 4th-century foundations of the first Roman church on the site are still visible.
The monastery, which is dedicated to the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos, was established during the 15th century, with a cathedral constructed around 1508 and painted with murals by Vicko Lavrov from Dubrovnik in 1517. The monastery remained a seat of the Metropolitans of Herzegovina until the Venetian Empire destroyed it in 1694. The current monastery building was constructed in 1924. Today, the monastery is renowned for its wine production (in particular from the local Vranac and Žilavka grape varieties) and its wine cellars, one of which dates to the 15th century, which are a popular tourist attraction.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tvrdoš Monastery.|
Official page (in Serbian)