|Cyrillic letter Tse|
|The Cyrillic script|
Tse (Ц ц; italics: Ц ц) is a letter of the Cyrillic script.
It commonly represents the voiceless alveolar affricate /ts/, like the pronunciation of ⟨zz⟩ in "pizza".
In English, Tse is commonly romanized as ⟨ts⟩. However, in proper names (personal names, toponyms, etc.) and titles it may also be rendered as ⟨c⟩ (which signifies the sound in Serbo-Croatian, Czech, Hungarian etc.), ⟨z⟩ (which signifies the sound in Italian and German), ⟨cz⟩ or ⟨tz⟩. Its equivalent in the modern Romanian Latin alphabet is ⟨ț⟩.
In the Cyrillic numeral system, Tse has a value of 900.
- as a match for the Latin ⟨c⟩ in words of Latin origin, such as цирк (circus), центр (centre),
- for the German ⟨z⟩ and ⟨tz⟩, in words borrowed from German, such as цинк (Zink), плац (Platz),
- ⟨ци⟩ may correspond to Latin ⟨ti⟩ (before vowels), such as сцинтилляция (scintillation).
Unlike most other consonants (but like ⟨ж⟩ and ⟨ш⟩), ⟨ц⟩ never represents a palatalised consonant in Russian (except occasionally in foreign proper names with ⟨ця⟩ or ⟨цю⟩). Since /i/ after unpalatalised consonants becomes [ɨ], the combinations ⟨ци⟩ and ⟨цы⟩ are pronounced identically: [tsɨ]. A notable rule of Russian orthography is that ⟨ц⟩ is seldom followed by ⟨ы⟩, with the following exceptions:
- the ending -⟨ы⟩ of the plural number or the genitive case (птица nominative singular → птицы nominative plural or genitive singular),
- possessive suffix -⟨ин⟩ is spelled -⟨ын⟩ after ⟨ц⟩ and only then: троицын, курицын,
- the suffix is very popular in Russian last names, but spelling varies and both -⟨цын⟩ and -⟨цин⟩ are possible, Ельцин is an example,
- the ending of adjectives -⟨ый⟩ (that becomes -⟨ые⟩, -⟨ым⟩, -⟨ыми⟩, -⟨ых⟩ in declension) such as куцый or бледнолицый,
- conjugation of a vulgar verb сцать (сцы, сцым, сцыт, сцыте, сцышь) and its prefixed derivatives,
- a few other word roots: цыган, цык- (цыкать, цыкнуть), цып- (цыплёнок, цыпки, цыпочки, цып-цып), цыц,
- pre-1956 lists contain words such as цыбик, цыбуля, цыгарка, цыдулка, цыкля, цымбалы, цымес, цынга, цыновка, цынубель, цырюльня, цытварный, цыфирь, панцырь etc. (examples taken from Ya. S. Khomutov's spelling dictionary, 1927 but now all those words are spelled with -ци-),
- Pinyin's ⟨ci⟩ becomes ⟨цы⟩, and ⟨qi⟩ becomes ⟨ци⟩.
Related letters and other similar characters
|Unicode name||CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER TSE||CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER TSE|
|UTF-8||208 166||D0 A6||209 134||D1 86|
|Numeric character reference||Ц||Ц||ц||ц|
|KOI8-R and KOI8-U||227||E3||195||C3|
|Code page 855||165||A5||164||A4|
|Code page 866||150||96||230||E6|