Location in Veracruz
Location in Mexico
|Coordinates: 19°01′51″N 97°00′31″W / 19.03083°N 97.00861°WCoordinates: 19°01′51″N 97°00′31″W / 19.03083°N 97.00861°W|
|Established||18 January 1825|
|• President||Nicolas Prado Morales|
|• Total||18.905 km2 (7.299 sq mi)|
|Elevation (of seat)||1,355 m (4,446 ft)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|• Estimate (2015 Intercensal Survey)||6,869|
|• Density||360/km2 (930/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Central (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||Central (UTC-5)|
The municipality of Tomatlán is located in central Veracruz at an altitude between 1,000 and 1,500 metres (3,300–4,900 ft). It borders the municipalities of Ixhuatlán del Café to the northeast, Córdoba to the southeast, Chocamán to the southwest, and Coscomatepec de Bravo to the northwest. The municipality covers an area of 18.905 square kilometres (7.299 sq mi) and comprises 0.03% of the state's area.
Tomatlán is located in the Jamapa River basin. Agricultural land makes up 87.04% of the municipality's area.
Tomatlán's climate is humid and semi-warm with rain throughout the year. Average temperatures in the municipality range between 16 and 20 °C (61–68 °F), and average annual precipitation ranges between 1,500 and 2,000 millimetres (59–79 in).
Located three kilometres (1.9 mi) east of the municipal seat of Tomatlán, the Olmec site of La Yerbabuena dates to the Middle and Late Formative periods (c. 600–400 BCE) and has been identified as a workshop for the production of obsidian tools. In the 15th century a Teochichimeca settlement called Quechultenango ("wall of quetzals") was founded in the area, which in the colonial period became known as San Miguel Quechultenango Tomatlán.
The municipal government comprises a president, a councillor (Spanish: síndico), and a trustee (regidor). The current president of the municipality is Nicolas Prado Morales.
In the 2010 Mexican Census, the municipality of Tomatlán recorded a population of 6763 inhabitants living in 1749 households. The 2015 Intercensal Survey estimated a population of 6869 inhabitants in Tomatlán.
- "Sistema Nacional de Información Municipal" (in Spanish). SEGOB. 2010. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "Tomatlán". Enciclopedia de los Municipios y Delegaciones de México (in Spanish). INAFED. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "Tomatlán: Datos generales". Cédulas de información municipal (in Spanish). SEDESOL. 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Panorama sociodemográfico de Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave 2015 (PDF) (in Spanish). INEGI. 2016. p. 402. ISBN 978-607-739-871-4.
- "Consulta Códigos Postales". Catálogo Nacional de Códigos Postales. Mexican Postal Service. 23 February 2018. Archived from the original on 14 October 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "Compendio de Información Geográfica Municipal 2010: Tomatlán, Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave" (in Spanish). INEGI. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Cobean, Robert H. (2002). A World of Obsidian: The Mining and Trade of a Volcanic Glass in Ancient Mexico. INAH. p. 163. ISBN 9789701825082.
- Estado de Veracruz-Llave. División Territorial de 1810 a 1995 (PDF) (in Spanish). Mexico: INEGI. 1996. pp. 119, 306. ISBN 970-13-1517-0.
- "Estructura: Periodo 2018 - 2021" (in Spanish). Municipal council of Tomatlán, Veracruz. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "Resumen municipal: Municipio de Tomatlán". Catálogo de Localidades (in Spanish). SEDESOL. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Plan Municipal de Desarrollo 2011–2013" (PDF) (in Spanish). Municipal council of Tomatlán, Veracruz. p. 39. Retrieved 3 March 2018.