Tom Gage (journalist)
April 2, 1948|
|Notable awards||J. G. Taylor Spink Award (2015)|
Gage began his career at The Times-Picayune in the early 1970s before moving to The Detroit News in 1976. Gage spent 39 years on the sports staff at The Detroit News, and 36 years as the Detroit Tigers beat writer, until retiring from the paper in March 2015, after being reassigned from the beat a month prior.
Following his retirement from The Detroit News, in March 2015, it was announced that Gage was hired as a columnist for Fox Sports Detroit, where he began writing commentary and analysis about the Tigers from their spring training complex. His job at Fox Sports Detroit only lasted three months, when Fox Sports dismissed all of their regional web sportswriters on June 30, 2015.
Gage was awarded the J. G. Taylor Spink Award in 2015 by Baseball Writers' Association of America, in the closest balloting in the history of the award. Gage received 167 votes of the record 463 ballots cast, while late columnist Furman Bisher of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution received 161 votes. On June 13, 2016 Gage was honored by the Michigan Jewish Sports Foundation with the Dick Schaap Award for Media Excellence at its 26th Annual Hank Greenberg Memorial Golf Invitational. On September 9, 2016 Gage was inducted into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame in Detroit, Michigan.
- Paul, Tony (July 24, 2015). "Tom Gage: Baseball's Hall of Fame storyteller". The Detroit News. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Paul, Tony (July 26, 2015). "Hall of Famer Tom Gage got helping hand early in career". The Detroit News. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Gage, Tom (March 23, 2015). "Gage: Spilled milk cleaned up, now spring-ing back into action". Fox Sports Detroit. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Gage, Tom (July 2, 2015). "Gage: Goodbye for now, maybe longer; it's been a long, good run". Fox Sports Detroit. Retrieved July 2, 2015.
- Paul, Tony (May 31, 2015). "Sources: FSD cutting all writers, including Tom Gage". The Detroit News. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Bloom, Barry (December 9, 2014). "Detroit News' Gage wins Spink Award". MLB.com. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- Paul, Tony (December 9, 2014). "Detroit News' Tom Gage voted into Baseball Hall of Fame". The Detroit News. Retrieved December 9, 2014.