A screenshot of the TikTok app, as it was merged with musical.ly on August 2, 2018.
|Initial release||September 2016|
|Operating system||iOS, Android, PC|
|Available in||34 languages|
TikTok, also known as Douyin (Chinese: 抖音短视频; pinyin: Dǒuyīn duǎnshìpín; literally "vibrato short video") or Tik Tok, is a Chinese music video platform and social network that was launched in September 2016 by Zhang Yiming, founder of Toutiao. Today, it is the leading short video platform in Asia, and has established itself as the world's fastest growing app, with the biggest music video community globally. The app reached 150 million daily active users (500 million monthly active users) in June 2018, and was the world's most downloaded app in the first quarter of 2018, with an estimated 45.8 million downloads.
The TikTok mobile application allows users to watch musical clips, shoot short clips and edit them, and add special effects to clips. To create their own music videos, users first choose from a list of background music. Then, the app records them while they do whatever they want for sixty seconds. The TikTok music list contains a wide variety of music styles, including hip-hop and electronic. Due to its immense popularity and social influence, the app has spawned numerous viral trends and internet celebrities around the world, propelled songs to fame, and is known to be popular among celebrities.
In January 2017, it received several million RMB of seed investment from the Toutiao Group. In September 2017, it started to expand into the Indonesian market. TikTok's parent company, Beijing Bytedance Technology, purchased Musical.ly, another popular Chinese short music video social platform in November 2017. On 23 January 2018, the app ranked No.1 among free mobile app downloads on App stores in Thailand. In February 2018, TikTok launched a partnership with Modern Sky to monetize music. On August 2nd, 2018, TikTok merged their app with musical.ly to create a "bigger and better video community". They kept the name TikTok and both app users joined to continue creating on one platform.
Indonesia temporarily blocked the Tik Tok app starting on 3 July 2018 amidst public concerns of illegal contents such as pornography and blasphemy. However, the app was unblocked one week later after implementing various changes including removing negative content, opening a government liaison office, and implementing age restrictions and security mechanisms.
- "Tik Tok - including musical.ly". iTunes. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "Toutiao parent launches global competitor to musical.ly · TechNode". TechNode. 14 September 2017. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "抖音是否适合奢侈品牌？" (in Chinese). ifeng.com. 22 March 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "张一鸣：2018年是全球化关键年，今日头条还需要承担更多社会责任" (in Chinese). sohu.com. 13 March 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Tik Tok, a Global Music Video Platform and Social Network, Launches in Indonesia".
- "How Douyin became China's top short-video App in 500 days – WalktheChat". WalktheChat. 25 February 2018. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Chinese video sharing app boost 500 monthly active users".
- "Why China's Viral Video App Douyin is No Good for Luxury | Jing Daily". Jing Daily. 13 June 2018.
- "The most downloaded iPhone app in the world right now is one you've probably never heard of". www.businessinsider.sg. 3 May 2018.
- "J-pop song finds new life in China, a decade on". Nikkei Asian Review.
- "How Does Tik Tok Outperform Tencent's Super App WeChat and Become One of China's Most Popular Apps? (Part 1)".
- "Viral 'Karma's a Bitch' Meme Takes Chinese Video App by Storm".
- Balois, Lim (6 April 2018). "Enhancing that 'chin on a hand' thingy". www.nst.com.my.
- "Tik Tok, a Global Music Video Platform and Social Network, Launches in Indonesia". AsiaOne.
- "Wannabe stars fuel video fad - SHINE". SHINE.
- "Tik Tok, a Global Music Video Platform and Social Network, Launches in Indonesia". Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- Lin, Liza; Winkler, Rolfe (10 November 2017). "Social-Media App Musical.ly Is Acquired for as Much as $1 Billion" – via www.wsj.com.
- "Tik Tok, Global Short Video Community launched in Thailand with the latest AI feature, GAGA Dance Machine The very first short video app with a new function based on AI technology". thailand.shafaqna.com. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Douyin launches partnership with Modern Sky to monetize music" (in Chinese). Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Musical.ly Is Going Away: Users to Be Shifted to Bytedance's TikTok Video App". www.msn.com. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- "Indonesia overturns ban on Tik Tok after video streaming service agrees to increase security controls". South China Morning Post. Reuters. 11 July 2018. Retrieved 13 July 2018.