Third Rail (MLS supporters association)
|The Third Rail|
|Team||New York City FC|
|Location||New York City, New York|
|Founded||May 21, 2013|
|Membership||1,600 paid (as of February 2015)|
The Third Rail is an independent supporters group for New York City FC of Major League Soccer. It was founded on May 21, 2013, the same day as the expansion club was announced. The name of the club references the third rail, which provides power to the New York City Subway.
The group began as a loose online association of supporters before organizing its first public meeting in February 2014. Since then it has organized regular meetings, pub crawls and other events including viewing parties for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Name and logo
The Third Rail logo was designed by graphic artist Matthew Wolff. It features a raised Art Deco fist holding three lightning bolts, and uses the same typeface and color scheme as New York City FC's logo. When the logo was introduced, New York City FC announced that the MLS club was "powered by the Third Rail".
Members of the Third Rail are eligible to purchase New York City FC season tickets in the group's exclusive area, Sections 236 and 237 of Yankee Stadium.
- Klein, Jeff Z. "Whose Side Are You On? A Decision for Soccer Fans: New York City Football Club or Red Bulls". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- Wallerson, Ryan (September 4, 2014). "700 Soccer Fans and Counting: Fan Club Third Rail Builds Ranks". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- Chavez, Nick (March 3, 2014). "NYCFC Supporters' Group Begins to Grow". Soccer Newsday. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- Chavez, Nick (September 6, 2014). "NYCFC's 'Third Rail' Already Thriving". Soccer Newsday. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- "The Third Rail". Archived from the original on October 13, 2014. Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- "The Third Rail". Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- "New York City FC on Twitter: "#NYCFC: Powered by @ThirdRailSC."". Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- Chance Michaels. "The Third Rail". Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- "THE THIRD RAIL SUPPORTERS SECTION AT YANKEE STADIUM". The Third Rail. Retrieved 17 May 2016.