The Joplin Globe
|Owner(s)||Raycom Media dba Community Newspaper Holdings Inc.|
|Headquarters||117 East Fourth Street, Joplin, Missouri 64801 United States|
The Joplin Globe is a seven-day daily newspaper published in Joplin, Missouri, United States, covering parts of 14 counties in southwestern Missouri. Ottaway Community Newspapers owned the Globe from 1975 to 2002. Since 2002, it has been owned by Community Newspaper Holdings Inc.
The first issue of The Globe was published on August 9, 1896. Its marketing slogan is "It's your world. We deliver it." In 2012, The Globe was named “Newspaper of the Year” by the Local Media Association.
Bonnie and Clyde scoop
In 1933, The Joplin Globe had a country-wide scoop, obtaining the camera left behind by Bonnie and Clyde after a deadly confrontation with local police, developing and publishing the rolls of film in it, including the now-legendary photos of Bonnie Parker holding Clyde Barrow at mock gunpoint and of Bonnie with her foot on a fender, pistol in her hand, and cigar in her mouth.
Gilbert Barbee was born in 1850 in Ritchey, Newton County, Missouri. Barbee made his fortune in lead mining and owned the Joplin Globe from 1899 to 1911. He later established and published the Joplin Tribune. Barbee was an active member of the Democratic Party and he owned the Barbee Park racetrack and the House of Lords pub. Barbee also donated money and land to build the Children's Home, an orphanage in Joplin. He died in 1924 in Joplin, Jasper County, Missouri.
- Yang, Nu (July 2012). "A Newspaper's Duty: Documentary Film Follows Joplin Globe Staff after Deadly Tornado". Editor & Publisher. 145 (7) – via Questia.
- Ellis, Jim (May 5, 2007). "Guest column: Columnist's assessment undeserved". The Joplin Globe. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "COMPANY NEWS; DOW JONES SAYS IT IS SELLING FOUR OF ITS NEWSPAPERS". New York Times. February 22, 2002. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Kennedy, Wally (November 5, 2010). "Redesigned Globe to include new 'flag'". Joplin Globe. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Joplin Globe named "Newspaper of the Year"". The Joplin Globe. November 20, 2012. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Bonnie and Clyde". CrimeLab. Court TV. Archived from the original on 2008-12-22.
- "BARBEE FUNERAL PLANS W[ith] WORD FROM A DAUGHTER". Joplin Globe. October 18, 1924. p. 1. Retrieved December 19, 2014 – via Newspapers.com.
- "GILBERT BARBEE DEAD". Carthage Evening Press. October 18, 1924. Retrieved December 20, 2014 – via Find A Grave.
- "Joplin Historical Postcards: Barbee Park Racetrack". University of Missouri Digital Library. Retrieved December 20, 2014.
- "Joplin Historical Postcards: Children's Home, with children". University of Missouri Digital Library. Retrieved December 20, 2014.