Ternopil Oblast local election, 2009
All 120 seats to the Ternopil Oblast Council
Results of the 2009 Ternopil Oblast local election.
The Ternopil Oblast local election, 2009 elections in the Ternopil Oblast regional council, were held on March 15, 2009 on December 18, 2008, by the Ukrainian Parliament initiated by Bloc Yulia Tymoshenko (BYuT) but cancelled on 3 March 2009 by the same Parliament, with most members of BYuT voting against holding the snap elections (allegedly because of the fall of the ratings for BYuT). Following a lawsuit filed by Svoboda the Ternopil oblast` court acknowledged this decision illegal on March 11, 2009. The next day BYuT lodged an appeal in the Lviv Administrative Appeal Court against this decision.
On 13 March 2009, President Viktor Yushchenko asked the Constitutional Court to estimate the constitutionality of the Ukrainian Parliament’s decision to cancel the early regional council elections in Ternopil. According to Yuschenko the Constitution reads that Parliament can appoint elections or early elections into the local authorities, but cannot cancel them. The elections were held on 15 March 2009. The Bloc Yulia Tymoshenko called the election "the presentation of cynical election fraud by [Head of the Presidential Secretariat Viktor] Baloha as an expression of the will of the region's citizens".
Challenging the results
On March 24, the Ternopil district administrative court rejected a lawsuit from the Bloc of Yulia Tymoshenko (BYuT) challenging the results of the elections. Four days later the Kyiv district administrative court banned the official publication of the result of the elections.
On April 7 the Lviv administrative court of appeals ruled to cancel a decision of the Ternopil district administrative court denying consideration of a lawsuit from BYuT against the results of the elections to the Ternopil regional council. The Lviv administrative court of appeals instructed the Ternopil district administrative court to consider the essence of the lawsuit.
On May 11, 2009 BYuT members gave up their twelve seats in Ternopil regional council. As a result, the number of deputies in the regional Ternopil council became 208. The overall number of mandates in the council still constitutes 120, and all the decisions taken by the majority of the council still has to be passed by no less than 61 votes.
On June 16, 2009 the Constitutional Court of Ukraine deemed the parliamentary resolution on canceling early election to Ternopil Regional Council (of March 3, 2009) unconstitutional. This case was initiated by President Viktor Yuschenko.
The election have been conducted after the proportional electoral system. In an order to conduct the representatives in the Ternopil regional council, party or block must collect not less than 3% voices of electors.
According to political annalist the scores of United Centre and Party of Regions could be caused by mass fraud. Experts were less surprised by the high score of All-Ukrainian Union "Freedom" because (according to the think tank "Open Policy") support for rightist parties like "Freedom" typically builds up in conditions of economic and political crisis and "Freedom" has roots in the region. The turnout in Ternopil (city) was only 25%.
|1||All-Ukrainian Union "Freedom"||153 038||34,45|
|2||United Centre||63 143||14,32|
|3||Party of Regions||43,432||9,78|
|4||Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc||36 056||8,12|
|5||Ukrainian People's Party||35 647||8,03|
|6||People's Union "Our Ukraine"||24 439||5,50|
|7||Lytvyn Bloc||15 908||3,58|
|8||Socialist Party of Ukraine||9 252||2,08|
|10||Congress of Ukrainian Nationalists||5 380||1,21|
|11||Civil Movement "People's Self-Defense"||2 895||0,65|
|12||Communist Party of Ukraine||2 291||0,52|
|13||Great Ukraine||1 726||0,47|
|14||Agrarian Party||1 501||0,43|
|15||New Politics||1 168||0,33|
|16||New Democracy||1 126||0,32|
|Total turnout 52.02%|
|Party:||Results last election||Sociological group "Rating" (January 27, 2009)||Den (February 7, 2009)|
|OU-PSD||31.27%||15%*** (PU-"OU")||2% - 3%|
|Svoboda||<3%||16,1%||12% - 15%|
|UNB Kostenko and Plyushch†||8.65%||1.6† (UPP)||np|
|Not going to vote|
|* Political parties or election blocs need to collect at least 3% of the total vote for all parties in order to gain seats in parliament.|
|** "np" stands for "not polled". "dnp" stands for "did not participate".|
|*** As People's Union "Our Ukraine" running alone (without Civil Movement "People's Self-Defense" a.o.)|
|† UNB Kostenko and Plyushch became defunct, the original Bloc participant Ukrainian People's Party participated in the election alone|
Ternopil city council
The elections to Ternopil city council took place in fall of 2010.
- Тернопільська обласна рада
- Rada Cancels Early Elections Of Ternopil Regional Council Archived 2013-02-08 at Archive.is, Ukrainian News Agency (March 3, 2009)
- (in Ukrainian) Стаття щодо виборів до Тернопільської облради на сайті газети «День», Den (February 7, 2009)
- Стаття в «Україні Молодій», Україна Молода (February 10, 2009)
- «Українська Правда»(in Ukrainian)
- BYT appeals against court ruling on Ternopil regional council elections on March 15, Interfax-Ukraine (March 12, 2009)
- Yuschenko Asking Constitutional Court To Estimate Constitutionality Of Cancellation Of Early Ternopil Regional Council Elections By Rada Archived 2012-09-13 at Archive.is, Ukrainian News Agency (March 13, 2009)
- Committee of Electors of Ukraine registers no major violations at elections to Ternopil regional council, Interfax-Ukraine (15 March 2009)
- BYT intends to challenge in court results of elections to Ternopil regional council, Interfax-Ukraine (15 March 2009)
- Lviv Appeal Court Decides To Consider Suit Of BYT Challenging Results Of Elections To Ternopil Regional Council Archived 2013-02-05 at Archive.is, Ukrainian News Agency (April 9, 2009)
- BYT MPs give up seats in Ternopil regional council, Interfax-Ukraine (May 11, 2009)
- Constitutional Court deems unconstitutional parliamentary resolution on canceling early election to Ternopil Regional Council, Interfax-Ukraine (June 16, 2009)
- High tallies of PR and YT in Ternopil indicate fraud or pollsters’ slips, ZIK (17 March 2009)
- Results of Ternopil elections to force BYUT and Regions to alter Constitution , ZIK (17 March 2009)
- Явка избирателей по Тернопольской обл. по состоянию на 20:00 составила больше 50%, - ТИК Archived 2009-03-17 at the Wayback Machine., РБК-Украина (March 15, 2009)
- «Єдиний Центр» — паралельний підрахунок голосів
- ВО «Свобода» — Результати паралельного підрахунку голосів на Тернопільських виборах Archived 2009-09-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- (in Ukrainian) Генеральна репетиція президентських виборів: на Тернопільщині стався прогнозований тріумф націоналістів і крах Тимошенко, Ukrayina Moloda (March 17, 2009)
- Вибори в Тернополі
- Source: Official website Ternopil Oblast Council
- (in Ukrainian)Основна політична тенденція виборів до Тернопільської облради: падіння рейтингів БЮТ та НСНУ, ZIK (January 27, 2009)
- (in Ukrainian)Official website - history section, Ukrainian People's Party
- (in Ukrainian) Mayor elections