|An aspect of fiscal policy|
Primary taxation issues facing the governments world over include;
- Taxes on income and wealth (or estates).
- Taxation of capital gains versus labor income.
- Ecotax (short for Ecological taxation) refers to taxes intended to promote environmentally friendly activities via economic incentives.
- Tax evasion and avoidance leading to reduced government revenue.
- Due to an Inefficient tax system in many underdeveloped countries, the majority of small businesses are not taxed.
In law schools, "tax law" is a sub-discipline and area of specialist study. U.S. law schools require 30 semester credit hours of required courses, 60 hours or more of electives and a combined total of at least 90 credit hours completed. Law students must choose available courses on which to focus before graduation with the J.D. degree in the United States. This freedom allows law students to take many tax courses such as federal taxation, estate and gift tax, and estates and successions before completing the Juris Doctor and taking the bar exam in a particular U.S. state.
Master of Laws (LL.M) programs are offered in Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Netherlands and an increasing number of countries. Many of these programs focus on domestic and international taxation. In the United States, most LL.M. programs require that the candidate be a graduate of an American Bar Association-accredited law school. In other countries a graduate law degree is sufficient for admission to LL.M. in Taxation law programs.
The Master of Laws (LL.M) program is an advanced legal study.
- J.D. (Juris Doctor) or First degree in law.
- An English proficiency test score for students with a native language besides English.
The Juris Doctor (JD) program is offered by only a number of countries. These include, United States, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Philippines, Singapore and the United Kingdom. The courses vary in duration of years, curriculum and whether or not further training is required, depending on which country the program is in.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT) - Required for law school admission in United States, Canada and a growing number of countries.
- Credit requirements.
Taxation by jurisdiction
- Taxation in Argentina
- Taxation in Canada
- Taxation in Colombia
- Taxation in the British Virgin Islands
- Taxation in Peru
- Taxation in the United States
- Taxation in China
- Taxation in India
- Taxation in Iran
- Taxation in the Palestinian territories
- Taxation in the People's Republic of China
- Taxation in the European Union
- Taxation in Azerbaijan
- Taxation in Bulgaria
- Taxation in France
- Taxation in Germany
- Taxation in the Republic of Ireland
- Taxation in the Netherlands
- Taxation in Poland
- Taxation in Portugal
- Taxation in Russia
- Taxes in Spain
- Taxation in the United Kingdom