|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||237.339 g/mol|
|3D model (JSmol)|
Sertraline has been called "3,4-dichloro-tametraline". This is correct but it is an oversimplification in the sense that sertraline is the S,S-isomer whereas tametraline is the 1R,4S-stereoisomer.
Tametraline is a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor.
Indatraline is an indanamine homolog of tetralin-based tametraline, although in the case of indatraline the product is pm-dichlorinated.
Two routes have been previously described, one for aryl moieties containing electron withdrawing groups, and one for electron donating groups:
"The KMnO4 oxidation of the 1-aryl-tetralins # was observed to give 4-hydroxy-4-aryltetralones # instead of the expected tetralone # previously reported. As a result of this finding, direct oxidation of Grignard reaction product # was attempted and found to be a more efficient route."
CAN radical induced dimerization of styrene
"A facile one-pot synthesis of 1-amino-4-aryl-tetralin derivatives by the CAN-induced (see also: CAN) cyclodimerization of various styrenes in acetonitrile and acrylonitrile is described." doi:10.1021/ol0257934
Certain aromatic substitutients have a potentiating effect (e.g., p-Br), whereas others negate the compound's intrinsic activity.
It is not right to think of the dimethyl analogs as a "prodrug" to the monomethylated drugs (cf. indatraline, "31,345"), but it is correct that it is a "latentiated" form of the drug. This word is from the salsalate page. This was the reason why sertraline was made only as monomethylated because apparently according to the orders the 1° amine is inactive therefore the drug would have a shorter duration of activity.
Enantiopurified trans- and cis-aminotetraline derivatives
|Enantiopurified 4-aryl-aminotetralins IC50 (μM)|
(±)-sertraline is not entirely SERT selective until it has been resolved into the S,S-enantiomer.
In terms of the trans- isomers there is relatively marked separation in the activity between the R,S- and S,R-enantiomers. This stands in contrast to what has been observed in the homologous indamine class where both of the trans- enantiomers possessed significant TRI activity at all three of the monoamine transporters.
Racemic cis- and trans-aminotetraline derivatives
The primary amines are claimed to completely lack any affinity for the transporters.
- Koe, BK; Weissman, A; Welch, WM; Browne, RG (September 1983). "Sertraline, 1S,4S-N-Methyl-4-(3,4-Dichlorophenyl)-1,2,3,4-Tetrahydro-1-Naphthylamine, a New Uptake Inhibitor with Selectivity for Serotonin" (PDF). The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 226 (3): 686–700. PMID 6310078. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Koe, BK (December 1976). "Molecular Geometry of Inhibitors of the Uptake of Catecholamines and Serotonin in Synaptosomal Preparations of Rat Brain". The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 199 (3): 649–61. PMID 994022.
- Sarges, R; Koe, BK; Weissman, A; Schaefer, JP (December 1974). "Blockade of Heart 3H-Norepinephrine Up-take by 4-Phenyl-1-Aminotetralines: Implications for the Active Conformation of Imipramine-Like Drugs". The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 191 (3): 393–402. PMID 4427286.
- Welch, WM; Kraska, AR; Sarges, R; Koe, BK (November 1984). "Nontricyclic Antidepressant Agents Derived from cis- and trans-1-Amino-4-aryltetralins". Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 27 (11): 1508–15. doi:10.1021/jm00377a021. PMID 6492080.
- Sarges, RA (May 1975). "Synthesis of Phenyl-Substituted 1-Aminotetralines". The Journal of Organic Chemistry. 40 (9): 1216–24. doi:10.1021/jo00897a008.
- Peng, XQ; Xi, ZX; Li, X; Spiller, K; Li, J; Chun, L; Wu, KM; Froimowitz, M; Gardner, EL (December 2010). "Is Slow-Onset Long-Acting Monoamine Transport Blockade to Cocaine as Methadone is to Heroin? Implication for Anti-Addiction Medications". Neuropsychopharmacology. 35 (13): 2564–78. doi:10.1038/npp.2010.133. PMC 2978747
. PMID 20827272.