Tambaram Sanatorium is a locality between Chromepet and Tambaram, in Chennai, India. The neighbourhood is served by Tambaram Sanatorium railway station on the Chennai Beach–Villupuram section via Tambaram of the Chennai suburban railway.
It was originally a part of Tambaram, but later developed as a separate town due to the railway station and the TB Sanatorium and the Madras Export Processing Zone (MEPZ) located there. Along with TB Sanatorium, an institution was started by the State Government, for giving training to socially and economically deprived women (better known as Service Home). Before MEPZ came, a big FCI godown was started to store food grains for public distribution system.
Origin of the Name
Tambaram Sanatorium gets its name from the Sanatorium that was opened by Chowri Muthu in April 1928
The mofussil bus terminus in Tambaram Sanatorium handles outstation buses from the locality. Built on a 3.77 acre land at a cost of about ₹ 50 million,
Tambaram Depot of MTC is largest Bus depot in Tamil Nadu with a fleet of 235 buses
1.Tambaram Depot of MTC-> "TA"
2.Tambaram Depot of TNSTC-Kanchipuram Region->கா/தா (in english Ka/Tha)
National Institute of Siddha is a Premier Institute of Siddha Medicine Situated at Tambaram Sanatorium, Chennai, India.
The Government Hospital of Thoracic Medicine, popularly known as TB Sanatorium, was started in 1928. It is located along the Grand Southern Trunk Road.
Tambaram Sanatorium is located on the outskirts of Chennai city, 6 km from the Chennai International Airport.
- Manikandan, K. (19 March 2013). "GHTM lab gets NABL recognition". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. Retrieved 24 Mar 2013.