T. J. Zeuch
|T. J. Zeuch|
|Toronto Blue Jays|
Born: August 1, 1995|
Timothy James Zeuch (born August 1, 1995) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Toronto Blue Jays organization. He played college baseball for the Pittsburgh Panthers, and was drafted by the Blue Jays in the first round of the 2016 Major League Baseball draft. He is ranked 15th on Major League Baseball's 2018 Top 30 Blue Jays prospects list.
High school and college
Zeuch attended Mason High School in Mason, Ohio. He was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 31st round of the 2013 Major League Baseball draft, but did not sign and attended the University of Pittsburgh to play college baseball for the Panthers.
As a freshman at Pittsburgh in 2014, Zeuch appeared in 15 games and made nine starts. He pitched to a 2–6 win–loss record with a 2.75 earned run average (ERA) and 41 strikeouts. As a sophomore, he started 14 games, going 5–6 with a 3.87 ERA and 90 strikeouts. Zeuch missed the first month of his junior year due to a strained groin. He finished the year with a 6–1 record, 3.10 ERA, and 74 strikeouts in 692⁄3 innings.
Zeuch was considered a top prospect heading into the 2016 draft, and was selected 21st overall by the Toronto Blue Jays. He signed with the Blue Jays on June 17 for $2.175 million, and was assigned to the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League Blue Jays. Zeuch made his professional debut on July 9, striking out two and not allowing a baserunner in three innings, before being promoted to the Short Season-A Vancouver Canadians of the Northwest League on July 13. On August 29, Zeuch was promoted to the Class-A Lansing Lugnuts. He finished the season with a combined 0–2 record, 4.50 ERA, and 38 strikeouts in 34 innings pitched. Zeuch was assigned to the Advanced-A Dunedin Blue Jays for the 2017 season. He battled injuries that limited him to just 652⁄3 innings, and finished the season with a 3–6 record, 3.56 ERA, and 51 strikeouts.
- "MLB 2018 Prospect Watch". MLB.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Mason's Zeuch gets the Royals treatment".
- "Mason pitcher headed to Pittsburgh".
- DiPaola, Jerry. "Pitt ace Zeuch projected to be Pirates' top pick in MLB Draft".
- Brink, Bill (May 27, 2016). "As draft approaches, hometown considerations inherent for Pirates, others". post-gazette.com. Retrieved June 17, 2016.
- "T.J. Zeuch Bio". pittsburghpanthers.com. Retrieved June 17, 2016.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (June 9, 2016). "Blue Jays select RHP T.J. Zeuch with first round draft pick". Sportsnet. Retrieved June 9, 2016.
- "Toronto Blue Jays 2016 Draft Results". MLB.com. Retrieved June 17, 2016.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (June 17, 2016). "Blue Jays to sign first-round draft pick T.J. Zeuch". Sportsnet. Retrieved June 17, 2016.
- "TJ Zeuch Register Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved July 13, 2016.
- "John Lott on Twitter". Twitter. July 13, 2016. Retrieved July 13, 2016.
- Goldberg-Strassler, Jesse (August 29, 2016). "Lugnuts welcome 2016 first-rounder Zeuch". MiLB.com. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Wilson, Mike (June 4, 2018). "T.J. Zeuch throws first career shutout with Blue Jays' Double-A affiliate". cardiachill.com. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- "T.J. Zeuch Bio". pittsburghpanthers.com. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- Davidi, Shi (June 12, 2016). "Blue Jays minimize risk with emphasis on college draft picks". Sportsnet. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- "Timothy Zeuch Register Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved June 13, 2016.