Stephen Metcalfe (politician)
|Member of Parliament |
for South Basildon and East Thurrock
Assumed office |
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Constituency established|
9 January 1966|
Walthamstow, London, England
stephenmetcalfe.blogspot.co.uk official website] official Parliamentary biography and profile |
Official Twitter profile
Stephen James Metcalfe (born 9 January 1966) is a Conservative Party politician in the United Kingdom, who was first elected as the Member of Parliament (MP) for South Basildon and East Thurrock in 2010. He has served as the chairman of the Science and Technology Select Committee.
Early life and career
Metcalfe was an Epping Forest District councillor and a portfolio holder for Customer Services, ICT & E-government until he stood down in order to concentrate on his campaign to be elected as an MP. As a councillor he campaigned on issues including green belt protection, the introduction of traffic calming schemes as well as working with communities to find ways of engaging the young.
In 2012, Metcalfe was named by Conservative Home as one of a minority of loyal Conservative backbench MPs not to have voted against the government in any significant rebellions. He was subsequently one of 136 Conservative MPs to oppose the third reading of the Coalition's Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013.
Metcalfe is married to Angela, with whom he has two children. His wife continues to work for the family's printing business. Metcalfe was educated at the Davenant Foundation School at Loughton· where he still lives.
- "Steve Metcalfe MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- "Stephen Metcalfe MP". UK Parliament.
- "No. 59418". The London Gazette. 13 May 2010. p. 8742.
- "'Stephen Metcalfe". Archived from the original on 30 April 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Morris, Stephen (7 May 2010). "'Essex Man' returns to the Tory fold". London: The Independent. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Barrett, Matthew. "The 24 Conservative MPs who are still on the backbenches and have never rebelled". Conservative Home. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "The Debating Group". The Debating Group. 24 March 2014. Archived from the original on 5 April 2015. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency|| Member of Parliament for
South Basildon and East Thurrock