Stephen Mandel (hedge fund manager)
|Stephen Mandel Jr.|
|Born||March 12, 1956|
|Residence||Greenwich, Connecticut, U.S.|
|Known for||Founding and leading Lone Pine Capital|
|Net worth||US$2.5 billion (January 2017)|
|Board member of||
Teach for America
|Spouse(s)||Susan Joy Zadek|
Ann Safford Mandel|
Stephen Frank Mandel
Stephen Frank Mandel, Jr (born March 12, 1956) is an American investor, hedge fund manager, and philanthropist. He founded Lone Pine Capital in 1997, after working as the managing director at Tiger Management. According to Forbes Magazine, Mandel has a net worth of $2.5 billion as of January 2017. He is the 274th richest person in the United States.
Early life and education
Mandel is the son of Ann (née Safford) and Stephen Frank Mandel. He has a brother, Edward Safford Mandel. In 1974, Mandel graduated from the Phillips Exeter Academy. In 1978, he graduated from Dartmouth College with a Bachelor of Arts in government and was a member of the Psi Upsilon fraternity. He also has an M.B.A. from Harvard University.
From 1982 to 1984, he worked at Mars & Co as a senior consultant and then from 1984 to 1990, he worked as a consumer-retail analyst at Goldman, Sachs & Co. before working as a consumer analyst and eventually managing director at Tiger Management, a hedge fund founded by Julian Robertson. In 1997, he left Tiger and founded his own hedge fund, Lone Pine Capital LLC (named after a Dartmouth College pine tree that survived an 1887 lightning strike).
Wealth and philanthropy
According to Forbes Magazine, Mandel has a net worth of $2.5 billion as of January 2017. He is the 274th richest person in the United States.
He was chairman of Dartmouth's board of trustees and is currently Chair of the National Board of Directors at Teach for America. He founded two charitable foundations: the Zoom Foundation and the Lone Pine Foundation.
- Dartmouth College website: Board of Trustees
- "Stephen Mandel, Jr". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-01-22.
- Dartmouth Alumni Magazine: "Stephen Frank Mandel ’52" Jan-Feb 2010
- Stamford Advocate: "Stephen Frank Mandel" September 13, 2009
- New York Times: "Betsy B. Phillips To Wed in May" January 18, 1987
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires: Stephen Mandel Jr. March 2013
- "Steve Mandel Profile," GuruFocus.com
- "Cult of Personalities," Institutional Investor Alpha, October 2008
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires - Stephen Mandel Jr March 2008
- Vardi, Nathan (Feb 26, 2013), "The 40 Highest-Earning Hedge Fund Managers & Traders", Forbes
- Vardi, Nathan (Feb 26, 2014), "The 25 Highest-Earning Hedge Fund Managers And Traders", Forbes
- "Lone Pines' Stephen Mandel elected chairman of Dartmouth's board," Absolute Return, May 1, 2010
- "National Board of Directors". Teach for America.
- Institutional Investor: "Hedge Fund Giving Wanes" by Danielle Beurteaux March 19, 2009
- Dartmouth Now newsletter: "‘Visible and Accessible’: Chair Steve Mandel ’78 on Priorities for the Board" By Sarah Memi Archived 2011-09-20 at the Wayback Machine. November 29, 2010
- New York Times: "Susan Zadek To Be Bride" March 21, 1982
- New York Times: "Sea, Sand, Faith: Far From Home but Closer to Heaven" By NEELA BANERJEE August 20, 2009
- New York Times: "Kate Mandel, Christopher Bruce" September 27, 2015