|Minister of Education, Universities and Research|
22 February 2014 – 16 December 2016
|Prime Minister||Matteo Renzi|
|Preceded by||Maria Chiara Carrozza|
|Succeeded by||Valeria Fedeli|
|Member of the Senate of the Republic|
Assumed office |
15 March 2013
18 November 1960|
Democratic Party (2015-present)|
Civic Choice (2013-2015)
Stefania Giannini (born 18 November 1960) is an Italian politician and linguist. She has served as Minister of Education, Universities and Research since 22 February 2014.
Born in Lucca, Giannini in 1991 became a professor at the University for Foreigners in Perugia, holding the chairs of Phonetics and Phonology (1992-1994), Sociolinguistics (1994-1998) and of Glottology and Linguistics (1998-2013). In 2004 she also became rector of the Perugia University for Foreigners. In 2008 she received an honorary degree, awarded by the College Reges-Rede Gonzaga De Ensino Superior (Brazil) for her efforts in the development of international cooperation programs.
Candidate in Tuscany with the Mario Monti's party Scelta civica, she was elected senator in February 2013. In November the same year, she was appointed secretary and coordinator of the party Scelta civica.
She received the America Award of the Italy-USA Foundation in 2015.
- Tra grammatica e pragmatica: la geminazione consonantica in latino (Giardini, 1989)
- Percorsi metalinguistici. Giuliano di Toledo e la teoria della grammatica (FrancoAngeli, 1996)
- La pubblicità comparativa. Una via europea (FrancoAngeli, 1999)
- Il cambiamento linguistico. Suoni, forme, costrutti, parole (Carocci editore, 2003)
- La fonologia dell'interlingua. Principi e metodi di analisi (FrancoAngeli, 2003)
- Valentina Santarpia (21 February 2014). "Stefania Giannini , glottologa e linguista Un'altra rettrice come ministro dell'Istruzione". Corriere della Sera. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Scelta civica, è scissione. Giannini nuovo segretario, Bombassei presidente". La Repubblica. 16 November 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Il neo ministro Stefania Giannini: "L'istruzione è una priorità"". Il Tirreno. February 22, 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stefania Giannini.|
Maria Chiara Carrozza
| Italian Minister of Education