Squadron A Armory
Madison Avenue Facade of the Squadron A Armory
NYC Landmark #181
|Location||Madison Avenue between 94th and 95th Streets, New York City|
|Coordinates||40°47′10″N 73°57′15″W / 40.78611°N 73.95417°WCoordinates: 40°47′10″N 73°57′15″W / 40.78611°N 73.95417°W|
|Architect||John R. Thomas|
|NRHP reference #||72000877|
|Added to NRHP||March 24, 1972|
|Designated NYCL||October 19, 1966|
The Squadron A Armory is a former United States Army armory and the homebase of Squadron A. It took up the whole block between Madison Avenue and Park Avenue, between 94th and 95th Street. It was therefore also known as the Madison Avenue Armory. A surviving part of the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Madison Avenue Facade of the Squadron A Armory and is a New York City landmark.
The building was built in 1895 by a New York City contractor named John F. Johnson. It was constructed with red bricks, featuring massive walls with towers. It was partially demolished in the 1960s, and the eastern and central part of the site are now used by Hunter College High School and Elementary School as their main campus. The outline of some of the former walls are lined with trees. The Madison Avenue facade was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
A stone plaque with the squadron's cry "Boutez en avant!", translated variously as "Press forward!" or simply "Charge!", is located on the wall at Madison Avenue.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Stephen S. Lash (July 1971). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Madison Avenue Facade of the Squadron A Armory". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- Squadron A Armory Ruins and Hunter College High School The City Review