The August 2, 2007, cover of the Herald-Journal
|Owner(s)||New Media Investment Group|
|Headquarters||Spartanburg, South Carolina|
The Spartanburg Herald-Journal is a daily newspaper, and the primary newspaper for Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States.
The origins of the paper began with The Spartan, a weekly paper reportedly first printed in about 1842–43. In 1844, it was renamed The Carolina Spartan. In about 1900, the paper was reportedly bought by The Journal Publishing Company, who renamed it The Spartanburg Journal.
The Herald purchased the Journal in 1914. The Herald was a morning paper, while the Journal covered evenings, with joint editions published on the weekend. Though under common ownership, the Herald and Journal did not completely merge into one paper until October 1982.
In 1929, owner The Herald-Journal Publishing Company sold the papers to its paper distributor, the International Paper and Power Company, who sold them to A.G. Keeney in 1936, who in turn sold to S.S. "Blue" Wallace in 1939. Charles Edward Marsh brought the papers in 1946, and donated them to the non-profit Public Welfare Foundation he had created in 1947.
A 1969 federal tax law requiring non-profits to sell newspaper holdings eventually required the sale of the paper. The New York Times acquired the Herald-Journal from the Public Welfare Foundation in 1985 (along with The Tuscaloosa News and The Gadsden Times), at which time its daily circulation was 47,500, and Sunday 51,000.
On January 6, 2012, Halifax Media Group completed its purchase of the Herald-Journal and 15 other newspapers from The New York Times. In 2015, Halifax was acquired by New Media Investment Group.
- "A Century of Daily Delivery". Spartanburg Herald-Journal. January 28, 1990. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- Michael Leonard (April 19, 1985). "Herald-Journal Joins Times Co". Spartanburg Herald-Journal. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- "New York Times Co. agrees to buy three more papers". The Ledger. January 15, 1985. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- "History of the Spartanburg Herald-Journal". Spartanburg Herald-Journal. October 9, 2002. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- Associated Press (January 26, 1984). "Foundation Seeking Exemption". The Item. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- "Times Co. Buys Spartanburg Herald-Journal". The Herald. Rock Hill, South Carolina. Associated Press. April 19, 1985. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- Halifax Media purchases 16 newspapers Archived 2012-01-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- New Media Announces Agreement to Acquire Halifax Media Group for $280.0 Million Archived 2016-03-07 at the Wayback Machine.