|Headquarters||Dallas, Texas, USA|
|Lance Crosby (Chairman & CEO)|
|Products||Dedicated Hosting, Managed Services|
|Parent||IBM (since 2013)|
GI Partners acquired a majority equity stake in SoftLayer in August 2010. In November 2010, SoftLayer merged with The Planet Internet Services and consolidated the customer base under the SoftLayer brand. In Q1 2011, the company reported hosting more than 81,000 servers for more than 26,000 customers in locations throughout the United States.
In July 2011, the company announced plans for international expansion to Amsterdam and Singapore to add to the existing network of US-based data centers in Dallas, Texas; San Jose, California; Seattle, Washington; Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico; Houston, Texas; and Washington, D.C. Most of these data centers were leased via Digital Realty Trust. As of May 2015, the company has 23 data centers in 11 different countries.
On June 4, 2013, IBM announced its acquisition of SoftLayer under not disclosed financial terms, but according to Reuters in a deal that could fetch more than $2 billion, to form an IBM Cloud Services Division. At the time of acquisition, Softlayer was described as the biggest privately held cloud infrastructure provider (IaaS) in the world.
- "softlayer.com". Company web site. SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. Retrieved August 28, 2011.
- "IBM Closes Acquisition of SoftLayer Technologies". Retrieved July 18, 2015.
- "GI Partners and Management Acquire SoftLayer". News release. GI Partners. August 4, 2010. Archived from the original on November 14, 2010. Retrieved August 28, 2011.
- "Tech Crunch - Hosting Companies The Planet And SoftLayer Complete Merger". https://techcrunch.com/2010/11/08/the-planet-softlayer/. External link in
- "SoftLayer and The Planet Complete Merger". Data Center Knowledge blog. Retrieved August 28, 2011.
- "The WHIR - Web Hosts The Planet and SoftLayer Complete Merger: Report". http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/110810_Web_Hosts_The_Planet_and_SoftLayer_Complete_Merger_Report. External link in
- "EV1 GI Partners Announces Completion Of Merger Between SoftLayer and The Planet". News release. GI Partners. November 10, 2010. Retrieved August 28, 2011.
- "SoftLayer and The Planet Begin Merged Operations: Merger Brings Customers Advantages in Combined Capabilities and Scale". News release. November 16, 2010. Retrieved August 28, 2011.
- "Data Center Knowledge - SoftLayer: $78 Million in First Quarter Revenue". http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/05/17/softlayer-78-million-in-first-quarter-revenue/. External link in
- Rich Miller (July 26, 2011). / "SoftLayer Goes Global With its Network" Check
|url=value (help). Data Center Knowledge. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- "Digital Realty Signs SoftLayer to Data Centre Lease in Singapore". News release. October 10, 2011. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- "SoftLayer Data Centers". Retrieved 2015-05-19.
- Saba, Jennifer. "IBM to buy website hosting service SoftLayer". reuters.com. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "IBM to Acquire SoftLayer to Accelerate Adoption of Cloud Computing in the Enterprise: IBM to Form New Cloud Services Division". News release. IBM. June 4, 2013. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- "IBM (IBM) to Acquire Public Cloud Provider SoftLayer". Street Insider. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Holland, Maggie (9 October 2014) IBM and SoftLayer: What a difference a year makes ITPro, Retrieved 18 May 2015